LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Happy to help, Azimat!

One of the difficult things about this game is the potential for confusing a "feature" with a "type," and it looks like that's what has happened to you. Think of the word "feature" as meaning "article," as in an article in a newsletter, while a "type" is the subject of the article. You can have three different features (articles) that are all the same type (subject)!

In the example you cited, there is a feature in slot 1 that is about Industry; a second feature (a different article) that is about Marketing that occupies slots 2 and 3 (it's a long article, so it spills over from the second slot to the third); a third feature (article) about Marketing in slot 4 (so it is a different feature than the previous one, although it is on the same subject/of the same type); and a Graphic is slot 5. That's three different features (articles), even though they are of only two types (subjects).

Here's a solution that is even more extreme: 5 features, one in each slot, and every one of them is about Technology. That would satisfy all the rules! One might be about batteries, another about solar panels, another about computer chips, another about satellites, and another about robots. Five different features, but just one type: TTTTT in the five slots. It works!

One last thing about this question: if an answer choice refers to a feature being in slot 5 ("except the feature in slot 5"), then slot 5 has to have a feature and not a graphic, and there have to be at least two more features elsewhere in the newsletter. That phrasing means there is not a graphic in that slot.

I hope that clears things up for you!
 yycstudent
|
Hello,

I just have a quick question regarding #21 "Which one of the following is NOT allowed for an issue of the newsletter?"

E says Each feature except the feature occupying slot 5 is either an industry feature or a marketing feature.
Can it not be possible to have this sequence? M I M M G
Would this not violate any rules?
I just can't seem to rule E out, but this is the right answer so I must have missed something here.

Thank you for helping me with this.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
yycstudent wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:42 am Hello,

I just have a quick question regarding #21 "Which one of the following is NOT allowed for an issue of the newsletter?"

E says Each feature except the feature occupying slot 5 is either an industry feature or a marketing feature.
Can it not be possible to have this sequence? M I M M G
Would this not violate any rules?
I just can't seem to rule E out, but this is the right answer so I must have missed something here.

Thank you for helping me with this.
Hi yyc!

Thanks for the post. I have moved your post to the thread discussing #21. Please review the explanation on page 1 of this thread, and the discussion that follows, and let us know if this helps or if you still have further questions.

Thanks!
 yycstudent
|
June15_game_4_#21_diagram_4.png
Answer choice (E) is the correct answer choice. If each feature except the feature occupying slot 5 is I or M, then slot 1 too would be occupied by I or M, not T or F. So, the newsletter would have no F or T features at all, in compliance with the second rule. This leaves no available features to occupy slot 5, which is impossible.

But what about a graphic, you may ask. Can’t we just have G in slot 5 with up to four different features (a collection of I’s and M’s) in slots 1-4? Well, that would be fine in general, but not in this case. Answer choice (E) clearly states, “Each feature except for the feature occupying slot 5…”, suggesting that slot 5 needs to be occupied by a feature and not a graphic. Since this is impossible, as discussed earlier, answer choice (E) is the correct answer to this Cannot Be True question.
[/quote]

Hello,

I just have a quick question regarding answer E.
Would this sequence (MM) (I) (MM) not be possible?

Thank you for your help.
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello,

No that would not possible under the conditions specified for this question. Slot 5 can't be either M or I, and it also, as mentioned, can't a graphic.
 karanarnoldrelan
|
Hello,

Wouldn't A be wrong as it requires a minimum of 3 features and G isn't a feature?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Why couldn't A have three features, karanarnoldrelan? There's nothing in the scenario that states that you can only have 1 marketing feature. In A, you could have 1 industry feature (in slot 1) two marketing features, and a graphic. That's three total features and is consistent with the rules in the scenario.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.