LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Coleman
|
Hi,

For this method of reasoning question, I chose the correct answer right off the bat since E corresponds to the reasoning demonstrated in the passage. However, I got curious about how B can be wrong in a given passage.
What B says is basically circular reasoning because "In calling the idea that humans once lived in harmony w/ nature a myth the argument presupposes what it attempts to prove." In order to make this answer choice to be correct, what kind of argument could be used based on this passage?
My question here is totally hypothetical but I just wanted to see in what ways, circular reasoning can be demonstrated in a given passage. Could you give me an example with more clarification about how B is obviously incorrect according to the argument given in this passage?
Thanks in advance!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Coleman,

Circular reasoning is unusual to see in a correct answer because it's usually pretty easy to spot. The conclusion has to have essentially no support because the premise and the conclusion are logically the same. An example would be something like this:

Baker Mayfield is the best quarterback because he's better than everyone else.

The premise "better than everyone else" is logically equivalent to the best. The support for the conclusion is logically equivalent to the conclusion itself. This argument would be harder to see a circular reading. It would have to say something like "Human activity was causing the extinction of animal species because people were responsible for the extinction." In our stimulus, it isn't circular---there's support for the conclusion that human activity caused the extinction. The author support the conclusion by showing that the extinction occurred after humans came to the area. It doesn't have to be great support to count as non-circular. It just has to provide SOME distinct support.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.