LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Megan Rogers
|
Hey, I have a little bit of problem with understanding question #15 (from December 1994 Section 4 Q#5)

As a matter of fact, I got this question right by process of elimination but I am still not so sure how exactly this answer choice works.

So I am going to write down my thinking process here so hope that someone can make sure that I am on the right track.

(E) says 'Some very cold planetary bodies have cores that generate enough heat to cause volcanic actions.'

So I believe that we can diagram this as follows:
Very cold planetary :some: Core that generate enough heat to cause volcanic actions

According to the last sentence, we can tell that
Europa (which is one of example of very cold planetary bodies in the solar system) :arrow: have solid icy surfaces with very few meteorite caters

Here, from 'very few meteorite caters', which is the negated version of 'heavily pockmarked by meteorite caters' (line 8),
and we can conclude that
'Europa' is planetary body with a solid surface renewed for millions of years :arrow: its core does generate heat to cause volcanic actions.

To sum up,
Europa :arrow: ~ (means negation) heavily pockmarked by meteorite caters :arrow: planetary body with solid surface renewed for millions of years :arrow: core of planetary body generate enough heat to cause volcanic actions.

Thus, from this, we can conclude that
Europa :arrow: its core generate heat enough to cause volcanic actions

And finally from this we can say that
Europa (aka example of COLD moon/ planetary body) :some: core generating enough heat to cause volcanic actions.

That's how I got my answer choice (E)

I know that this is an extremely long question but I just wanted to be thorough....
Anyway, I will really appreciate if someone can help me with this one.

Thanks in advance!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Megan Rogers wrote:Hey, I have a little bit of problem with understanding question #15 (from December 1994 Section 4 Q#5)

As a matter of fact, I got this question right by process of elimination but I am still not so sure how exactly this answer choice works.

So I am going to write down my thinking process here so hope that someone can make sure that I am on the right track.

(E) says 'Some very cold planetary bodies have cores that generate enough heat to cause volcanic actions.'

So I believe that we can diagram this as follows:
Very cold planetary :some: Core that generate enough heat to cause volcanic actions

According to the last sentence, we can tell that
Europa (which is one of example of very cold planetary bodies in the solar system) :arrow: have solid icy surfaces with very few meteorite caters

Here, from 'very few meteorite caters', which is the negated version of 'heavily pockmarked by meteorite caters' (line 8),
and we can conclude that
'Europa' is planetary body with a solid surface renewed for millions of years :arrow: its core does generate heat to cause volcanic actions.

To sum up,
Europa :arrow: ~ (means negation) heavily pockmarked by meteorite caters :arrow: planetary body with solid surface renewed for millions of years :arrow: core of planetary body generate enough heat to cause volcanic actions.

Thus, from this, we can conclude that
Europa :arrow: its core generate heat enough to cause volcanic actions

And finally from this we can say that
Europa (aka example of COLD moon/ planetary body) :some: core generating enough heat to cause volcanic actions.

That's how I got my answer choice (E)

I know that this is an extremely long question but I just wanted to be thorough....
Anyway, I will really appreciate if someone can help me with this one.

Thanks in advance!
Hello Megan!

Let me help you with this "Interstellar" problem. :D
Anyway, your analysis above seems pretty good, though feel free to use abbreviations or such. And one may not even need to use formal logic all the time (especially on the real test, when you may have little time...), though you seemed to have done fairly well at it.
Put another way: one could diagram it all (except the "some" part) as

Europa (cold moon) :arrow: slash pock :arrow: renewed solid-surface planetary body :arrow: core heat

, a little shorter than your diagrams above. One could even abbreviate further, of course, to, e.g.,

E :arrow: slash p :arrow: rss :arrow: ch

, or such. So many ways to diagram, but the shorter the better...

Again, you put things together pretty well above,

Hope this helps,
David
 ivan
|
Hello! Could you guys please explain me how to diagram this stimulus properly?
This is how I diagrammed it but I cannot create any inferences and prove correct and incorrect answers:

1) 1st sentence: Planetary bodies :most: solid surface
2) 2nd sentence: Solid surface AND Surface renewed :arrow: enough heat to cause volcanic action
3) 3rd sentence: Solid surface AND surface renewed :arrow: pockmarked by meteorite craters
4) 4rth sentence: Old planetary bodies :some: solid surface AND pockmarked by meteorite craters

I just cannot combine them and understand why E is correct and why other are incorrect

Thank you!
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Ivan,

Great diagramming! Let's run through the answer choices to see what we can support.

A) We have no idea about the Moon's surface.

B) Does not specify that planetary body surface is solid.

C) Who knows.

D) Don't know anything about other moons of Jupiter. I hear Ganymede is nice.

E) You've already done the work. Now apply it! Do we have a very cold planetary body? Yes, Europa. What do we know about Europa? It is not pockmarked by craters. The "surface is renewed," so we know there's enough heat to generate volcanic action.

That's it, you found the answer! You just have to apply your work to the answers to find out what you can prove. Well done.
 biskam
|
How do we know in E that Europa has a surface that is renewed? Following the diagram's last statement re old planetary bodies, the variable SR (surface renewed) isn't included. Am I missing linkages?
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi biskam,

Thanks for your question! Here's a step-by-step of how we get to answer choice (E). For the sake of simplicity, I'm cutting out the terms about "solid surface" and "old planet" since we know Europa satisfies both conditions.

2nd sentence:
Surface renewed :arrow: enough heat to cause volcanic action

3rd sentence:
surface renewed :arrow: pockmarked by meteorite craters

Contrapositive 3rd sentence:
pockmarked :arrow: surface renewed

Combine sentence 2 and contrapostive of 3:
pockmarked :arrow: surface renewed :arrow: enough heat to cause volcanic action

4th sentence:
Europa :arrow: pockmarked by meteorite craters

Combine 4th sentence with previous inferences:
Europa :arrow: pockmarked :arrow: surface renewed :arrow: enough heat to cause volcanic action

Final inference Europa :arrow: enough heat to cause volcanic action

I hope that helps clarify things for you. Good luck studying!

Athena Dalton
 biskam
|
Thanks so much!! Should've done the contrapositive of the third statement.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.