LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (D)

This Stimulus contains a dialogue between Harris and Vogel. Harris advocates changing international endangered-species regulations to include hybrid breeds such as the red wolf, which is a hybrid between the coyote and the gray wolf. Vogel concludes hybrids do not need protection because the species could be revived simply by interbreeding members of the species from which the hybrid descended.

The Question Stem indicates that this is an Assumption question type and it asks for the assumption upon which Vogel’s conclusion relies. The obvious assumption in Vogel’s argument is that the species from which hybrid descended would be available for interbreeding. If those species were not available, Vogel’s conclusion is null and void.

Answer Choice (A): This answer concerns the techniques currently being used to determine whether a species is a hybrid or not. This Answer Choice does not concern Vogel’s conclusion at all, and thus should be eliminated.

Answer Choice (B): This answer involves the successful enforcement of the international regulations that protect species and subspecies. So what? Just because there is successful enforcement does not mean that there are not species that will become endangered or become extinct.

Answer Choice (C): This answer states that the gray wolf has been successfully bred in captivity. Again, so what? It has nothing to do with Vogel’s conclusion, and therefore should be eliminated.

Answer Choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. This answer fits our pre-formed answer. Negating the Answer Choice gives us: “all hybrids are the descendants of species that are not currently extant.” This negated Answer Choice destroys Vogel’s conclusion that the hybrid species could be revived simply by interbreeding the members of the species from which the hybrid descended.

Answer Choice (E) is attractive initially because it discusses the coyote and red wolf. But it also states that they are not related genetically, which is a contradiction of what Harris says. It also it not related to Vogel’s conclusion so it should be eliminated. To verify this, apply the Assumption Negation technique: “the coyote and red wolf are related genetically.” This negated assumption has no effect on Vogel’s conclusion, thus confirming that it is not the correct answer.
 Bgibson90
|
Hello,

I am going over (question #34 in the Logical reason Marathon section of the homework on page 12-50).
The answers that I ultimately decided on was wrong. This question tripped me up somewhat so I went to the HW explanation section and I'm still a little puzzled. The explanation for this particular question didn't sink in for me. Looking for another explanation please?

Thank you
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bgibson,

Vogel's response relies on the idea that hybrids could be recreated. The assumption is that it will be POSSIBLE to recreate hybrids in the future; that is, the two species the hybrid comes from are both still alive. That is what answer D is saying.

Does that help?
 Bgibson90
|
Yes, Thank you. I believe I just confused myself thats all. Would I have to negate Answer D, Because it's an assumption question?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi B,

That's exactly right. Since it's an Assumption question, the correct answer choice, when negated (or taken away) will hurt the author's argument. Seems like you've got it, but let me know whether this is clear.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 Anali
|
Hi!

When I negated answer choice (C) I added "Not" before "All". The negated version for me was: Not all hybrids are descendants of species that are currently extant. After reading the above explanations to this question, I noticed that I incorrectly negated answer choice (C). Can someone explain why "All" was not negated as "Not all"?

Thank you
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Anali,

Your negation of answer choice (D) was properly done. You changed "all" to "not all," creating this statement:

"Not all hybrids are descendants of species that are currently extant."

This statement would attack Vogel's premise that if hybrid populations were wiped out they could "easily be revived." If a hybrid population descended from species that are not currently extant, then this revival would not be possible.

Good use of the Assumption Negation Technique!

Claire
 Anali
|
Thank you for confirming and for the explanation Claire!
 haganskl
|
Hi. Is B a necessary assumption for Harris’ argument?

TIA
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
haganskl wrote:Hi. Is B a necessary assumption for Harris’ argument?

TIA
Hi haganskl,

Interesting question, and I like that you considered if any of the answer might better appeal to Harris' argument since it's a common trick of the test makers to do that in questions where they specify the other party—well done!

For starters. I have some issues with the way (B) is stated here, specifically the broadness of "successfully." But, as it relates to Harris' argument, I don't see it as an assumption, in part because of "successfully" but moreso because Harris could be worried about long-term protection, which would allow for changing levels of "successful" enforcement. If you negate (B), I think Harris is still alive and would have an easy response that says that even if it's not currently successful, we need to protect these animals for all time because they need/deserve protection.

Good question, thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.