LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jw,

Circular reasoning occurs where the conclusion of the argument is supported by a premise that is simply a re-statement of the conclusion itself. An example of circular reasoning on the LSAT might look like this:

"University A is the best college in the country, because it is better than all the other colleges in the country."

"Everything you read in this newspaper is true, because this newspaper only prints accurate news."

You can read more about how to spot a circular reasoning flaw here:

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/lr ... n-circular

Best of luck studying!

Athena Dalton
 caitlin823
|
I'm currently in the Live Online class and using the the lesson 1-4 book -- where exactly in Lesson 2 did we touch on finding the flaws in arguments? I can't find it anywhere. Circular reasoning? Conditionality? Haven't seen these terms anywhere yet, so I'm just very confused about how to even approach this question from that standpoint. I understood how to diagram but it seemed kind of out of left field from what we've covered so far.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
caitlin823 wrote:I'm currently in the Live Online class and using the the lesson 1-4 book -- where exactly in Lesson 2 did we touch on finding the flaws in arguments? I can't find it anywhere. Circular reasoning? Conditionality? Haven't seen these terms anywhere yet, so I'm just very confused about how to even approach this question from that standpoint. I understood how to diagram but it seemed kind of out of left field from what we've covered so far.
Hi Cailtin,

Good questions! When we explain problems here, we pull from the full range of our LSAT preparation tools, not just the lessons covered so far in the course. So, the good news is that all of these terms are coming up for you in class (or coming up again), and you'll get a chance to see them in action. However, one of the features we built into the course was a sort of previewing element, and often I selected questions that not only cover the topic at hand, but also give hints at ideas that will be covered later. So, "circular reasoning" is a concept that appears most primarily in the lesson about logical flaws (Lesson 7) but it's also one that's useful to think about when you are first covering the formation of arguments (which started in Lesson 1). Lesson 2 offers an initial foray into conditional reasoning (this is just the start!), and one of the flaws you work with there is a Mistaken Reversal. What James did above was talk about how this error can involve a belief in what is known as a biconditional, which is a fancy (and accurate) way of referring to a double-arrow. In Lesson Two, you talked about the double arrow starting on page 2-18, and the phrase "biconditional" is mentioned there :-D So, it's there, but as with most things in our course, you will see it more than once, so even if you miss a concept, you get a second chance at it later.

As far as this question, don't worry about those elements; they came up as part of more advanced explanatory points. Instead, focus on several things here:
  • 1. This argument contains a flaw.

2. The flaw is a Mistaken Reversal, which occurs when authors mix up conditional terms by reversing them.

3. Answer choice (B) is a classic description of a Mistaken Reversal, so take a moment to study that.

4. Answer choice (A) describes a Circular Flaw, which is mostly used as a wrong answer (but occasionally as a correct answer), and circular arguments have premises and conclusions that are roughly identical, or have an argument form that assumes the conclusion is true. You will see more circular forms later, but for just make a mental note of it.
Also, since we are on the second page of comments on this problem, I want to make sure you saw the opening explanation and discussion: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=668&t=8827. That's a bit less advanced than what is on the posts on this page.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 gavelgirl
|
Hi,

I originally read this and immediately envisioned a double arrow diagram between the two variables. Looking back at the entire question I think where I went wrong was the question type. If the question type were a Must Be True question, then I believe I would have been right to accept this stimulus as a double arrow between both Not profiting and switching suppliers. I believe that is where I made my first mistake in diagramming this problem, which led me to get the answer incorrect. Can you confirm?

Also, I see now that the error of the stimulus was a mistaken reversal, but do not see how B describes that clearly. I can only get to that answer through process of elimination. Thanks in advance!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
gavelgirl wrote:Hi,

I originally read this and immediately envisioned a double arrow diagram between the two variables. Looking back at the entire question I think where I went wrong was the question type. If the question type were a Must Be True question, then I believe I would have been right to accept this stimulus as a double arrow between both Not profiting and switching suppliers. I believe that is where I made my first mistake in diagramming this problem, which led me to get the answer incorrect. Can you confirm?

Also, I see now that the error of the stimulus was a mistaken reversal, but do not see how B describes that clearly. I can only get to that answer through process of elimination. Thanks in advance!

Hi Gavelgirl,

As for the former, no, that still wouldn't make it circular. You'd have to have an entire argument that went as follows for this to be circular:

• SS = switch suppliers ..... P = profit

Premise: SS → P

Conclusion: P :arrow: SS

When in fact the argument is:

• SS = switch suppliers ..... P = profit

Premise: SS → P

Premise: P

Conclusion: SS
The second contains two premises and a separate conclusion, when the first contains a premise and conclusion that are contrapositives of each other. That small difference completely changes what's happening :-D

With (B), I added to the original explanation in the first post, and hopefully that will help.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.