LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Joel T
|
Hi there,

I had trouble with this one. I originally picked answer A.

I started by the "Match the Conclusion" approach and eliminated answer choices B & C.

I then moved on and tried the "Match the Premise" approach and focused in on the second and third premise which I diagramed as:
Heavy Sunspot Activity (SA) :arrow: Increased Positively Charged Ions (II)
II :arrow: People Anxious + People Irritable

That wasn't much help and I then eliminated E because I didn't think that large windows resulted in exposure to abundant natural light.

Between A and D, I then I felt A was more like the stimulus and selected that.

Upon review, I realize A doesn't have enough variables (Predicted the Outcome and Watching the Birds).

Any help on the how I could better attack this question would be appreciated!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Joel,

It looks like your approach was largely correct, but inconsistently applied. Matching the Conclusions alone should be enough to eliminate answer choices (B), (C) and (D), as they all contain certain conclusions while the stimulus's conclusion is probabilistic, and makes (A) appear shaky, as it claims a single unknown cause for two separate effects, based on their correlation, while the stimulus has a single root cause that begins a causal chain of:

Sunspots :arrow: Positively Charged Ions :arrow: Irritable People :arrow: Popular Uprisings

(E) mirrors this same structure, with the exact same scope in the conclusion as the stimulus ("likely to be a partial cause", with a chain of:

Corner Office :arrow: More Windows :arrow: More Sunlight :arrow: More Productivity

The key is recognizing in the stimulus first the scope of the conclusion, then the causal chain. Matching these against the answer choices, and only (E) works.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.