LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

khana87
|
I am having trouble understanding this ques. overall. Average hourly output per worker has increased but the leisure time in comparison has only increased at half the rate...I thought that c) would strengthen the conclusion by showing that pop increase accommodate for the slow leisure rate.

I don't understand why it is "e".
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This is an interesting one—the author tells us that technology has made it possible for a worker to produce the same output in less time: basically, this means that workers can now produce at a faster rate. If workers were to continue producing the same exact amount of goods, it would not take as long.

That is why the author points out that this rate increase could potentially reduce the length of the work week and increase workers' leisure time. If workers were to continue producing the exact same amount of goods, the new technologies would allow the work to get done more quickly.

Note then that the question isn't a Strengthen, but a Must/Most Strongly Supported type. so you need to find an answer that follows from the facts.

With new technological efficiencies a factory might choose to work its labor less. But the other option would be to produce more—this is what correct answer choice E highlights. If the new efficiencies didn't translate directly into a shorter work week and increased leisure time, that could indicate that output per worker has increased compared to 25 years ago.

Tough question—let me know whether this clears it up. Thanks,

Steve
 khana87
|
Thank you, that was difficult.
 tvaughanPS
|
Can we get a full explanation. I did not understand this one at all. I didn't even pick anything. Just skipped it.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi T,

Thanks for the question! I remember when I first saw this question, which was when I was taking this as a timed practice test. It stopped me cold during the exam, and is one of the few times I remember seeing a live question and thinking, "this thing is totally flawed." And, indeed, this is a flawed LSAT question because (E) simply doesn't have to be true. So let's first cover what the stimulus is saying, then talk about (E), before finally talking about why this problem is still worth studying.

The stimulus opens with a factual statement to the effect that in the past 25 years, the use of technology has made it so workers can work fewer hours but still produce the same output. This is a classic efficiency statement indicating that technology is helping make people more productive per hour. Because of this, there is the potential for workers to work fewer hours per week, which then allows them more leisure time. Continuing on, the stimulus notes that, somewhat unexpectedly, leisure time increased only half as fast as the average hourly output increased. What does this mean? That while workers are getting more and more productive, their leisure time isn't increasing quite as fast. If all things were equal (such as that we only had to produce a fixed amount per week), an increase in productivity should allow for greater and greater leisure time (note: there are problems with this rate-to-rate comparison, but let's move past that for the moment).

The first thing to note is that this is a Fact Set that contains no conclusion. And while we might expect a Resolve question (to explain that last sentence, for which there are some obvious explanations including that management is expecting greater output from everyone and has raised weekly targets (or something similar)) instead we get a Must Be True question, which also isn't unusual. We now need an answer that is proven as well as possible by the statements in the stimulus.

With (A), (B), and (C), we get answers that introduce elements that aren't addressed in the stimulus ("spend more money," "created fewer jobs," and "percentage of the population in the workforce") and thus are suspect right off the bat. (D) and (E) look more promising, because they include "average hourly/weekly output per worker" which is more in line with what was discussed in the stimulus.

Answer choice (D) doesn't work, however, because it goes on to discuss "as had been anticipated," and we have no information on what expectations were when this technology was first introduced. That leaves (E) as the most promising candidate.

Answer choice (E): This is the credited answer. However, the table below shows a problem:

• ..... ..... ..... ..... 25 Years Ago ..... ..... Today ..... ..... Rate of Growth

Leisure Time ..... ..... 16 Hrs/Day ..... 20 Hrs/Day ..... ..... 25%

Work Time ..... ..... 8 Hrs/Day ..... 4 Hrs/Day

Production ..... ..... 10 Units/Hr ..... 15 Units/Hr ..... ..... 50%

Total Production ..... 80 Units/Day ..... 60 Units/Day

Because the hypothetical situation above conforms precisely to the conditions given in the stimulus, but it contradicts answer choice (E), the answer is flawed. Note that the different daily total outputs aren't a problem, as the stimulus doesn't specify the totals must be identical (just that the amount of time to produce the totals has to be less now), and then answer choice (E) specifically contemplates them being unequal.

Where did the problem occur? Within the discussion of rates in the last sentence. Growth rates fundamentally depend on the initial number, and because of that comparing things that are not similar (such as leisure time and output) can be misleading. For example, consider a business that makes a million dollars more this year than last year. Depending on how much they made last year, their growth rate could be phenomenal or it could be rather measly:

• Last year's revenue = $1M
    This year's revenue = $2M
    Revenue Growth Rate = 100%

Last year's revenue = $100M
    This year's revenue = $101M
    Revenue Growth Rate = 1%
Same exact revenue increase ($1M), but depending on the starting point, it's either 1% growth or 100% growth. It's a good example of why young businesses can post very high growth rates whereas more mature businesses (who often have larger yearly revenue figures developed over time) often post lower growth rates. In our example above, the leisure time started at a higher number (16) vs the production (10) and that difference has a big effect when calculating a growth rate.

So, why look at this question if it has a problem? Well, the first reason is to see what it looks like when they screw up! We can learn from everything they do, including their mistakes. Second, not everyone would notice an error like this during the exam (I'm pretty sure this is the one instance in my entire life where my Econ degree made a difference) and so it is possible that you might face something like this and have to deal with it in real time (in that case it's better not to see the error; in fact, always assume the problem is sound, and then worry about it later. Most of the time they don't make mistakes, to be honest). Last, and perhaps most importantly, this is where LSAT Radar comes in. As one of my friends at the time said to me, "I didn't see that mistake and didn't work out the math, but I knew what they wanted so I chose it and was sure I was right." I also reluctantly chose (E), even though I didn't like it, mainly because everything else was worse (which was key), and because (E) sounded like the answer they would want. the more you study their problems and their language, the more you will see the patterns they use and the direction they are heading in. for all great test takers, there comes moments when you aren't totally sure, but you go with your gut feeling. Make sure that "gut" feeling is built on hours and hours worth of studying questions, because then it becomes far less random than you think.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 nickp18
|
Is this question actually flawed though? The question stem is a most strongly supported, so it does not HAVE to be true. E is, however, the most supported answer choice as most of the others can be easily eliminated.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think that's the best way to look at it, nickp18: we aren't looking for something that must be true, but only something that is more supported by the facts in the stimulus than the other answer choices. My prephrase for this one was "total output per worker has grown." I didn't do the math as Dave did, but I did blink briefly at "weekly" in answer E, thinking to myself "can we be sure about weekly output? I think we can only be sure about hourly output." But E did match my prephrase pretty closely, and there was no better answer available, so of the choices we were given it was the one that was most strongly supported.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.