LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore Staff,

I hope you are doing well.

This question tripped me up some. It is obviously a flaw question, and when I read it, I thought "Error of Composition." But, when I then thought a little harder about it, the stimulus is slightly different. It concludes that because each element of the building is "copied," the building itself is "original." Answer choice A is CLEARLY a composition error answer, but it strikes me that the stimulus is describing something a little different.

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Deck,

Thanks for the question! Two things that might help:

First, I don't see it as different. Using your description, I'd change it to: "It concludes that because each element of the building is "copied," the building itself is "copied." " My change is in italics there, but it's a key change since yours changed the overall meaning of the conclusion, and changed the relationship. Maybe that was a misread on your part? When viewed with the change, though, (A) looks pretty spot on :-D

Second, this is a great example for you of a problem where you want to get the stimulus, their answer, and your view in harmony. I've said before that this is their world, and as such, our interpretation of it as test takers is useful only inasmuch as it perfectly reflects their view. Even if I thought (A) said something different than what happened in the stimulus (I don't though), it wouldn't matter because LSAC thought (A) was right. When you think something is out of alignment as you suggest above, the best thing you can do as a student is to stop and devour the stimulus and their answer until it all makes sense as to why they think it is correct.

Please let me know if that's useful. Thanks!
 deck1134
|
Dave,

Thanks for the super fast reply! I really appreciate it.

I realize now that I was misreading the question--your explanation makes perfect sense! I had just completed a 100 round marathon of flaw questions thanks to Question Type Training and was a little frayed.

Thanks so much.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.