LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We recently received the following question:
Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me. This is a very nitpicky question but I really wanted some feedback! Apparently the answer to this question below is D. But I am a little confused as to why and what di even means. I had selected answer choice C.
The stimulus begins by outlining the psychologists' argument, and quickly concludes that their argument is not well justified. This argument/counterargument structure is one of the most common and predictable paradigms in Logical Reasoning.

The psychologists claim that seasonal affective disorder is a real phenomenon, and as evidence point to surveys in which people were asked to recall how they felt at various times in the past. The author counters their argument by disputing whether people can accurately report on their past psychological states. If they can't, then the survey results don't justify the psychologists' position. This line of reasoning is logically sound: if the survey results aren't reliable, this would indeed weaken - though not disprove - the psychologists' argument. The stem asks us to describe the author's method of reasoning.

Answer choice (A) is incorrect, because no alternative explanation of the variation in the occurrence of psychological problems across seasons is provided.

Answer choice (B) is incorrect, because the author does not dispute whether SAD can properly be labeled as a "disorder."

Answer choice (C) is attractive, but incorrect. The representativeness of the population sample is never under debate. Rather, the problem is whether they can recall past psychological states. For answer choice (C) to be correct, the author should have observed that perhaps the surveys were conducted among patients suffering for PTSD, or among people being treated for depression. Here, the author points to a response bias, which influenced the response of participants away from a truthful response. This is different from the selection bias described in answer choice (C).

Answer choice (D) is the correct answer choice. Whenever we attack an opponent's position, our counterargument can be described as one that questions our opponent's assumption(s). Every counterargument does that. Here, we question the psychologists' assumption that people can accurately recall past psychological states. If they can't, then the psychologists' argument is immediately weakened. Thus, this is an assumption upon which their argument erroneously depends.

Answer choice (E) is incorrect, because the number of people affected by SAD is not under debate.

Hope this clears it up! :)

Thanks,

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.