LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jiyounglee
|
Hello powerscore,

can you elaborate on answer choice c?
Also, why a and e are wrong?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm going to bounce this back to you as we did with another question you recently posted. Tell us more about why you are considering answers A and E, what your concern is about C, and anything else you can to help us understand your analysis and your approach. That should always be your approach in this forum - start by sharing your thought process, how you looked at the question, what techniques you applied, what you prephrased, etc. We can always do more to help if we know more about where you are coming from.

Looking forward to hearing more about your thoughts on this one!
 jiyounglee
|
Hello Adam,

Thanks for letting me know :)
I will put my analysis from now on with questions!
So, I will go through the analysis with Stephanie's questions from last post.

1. Describe your approach to the stimulus. Did you understand the argument, if any, from a structural standpoint? What is the conclusion, and what evidence is the author using in support of that conclusion?

Political Advocate:

Premise 1: this would allow politicians to devote less time to fund-raising

Intermediate conclusion 1: giving campaigning incumbents more time to serve the public

Premise 2: subsidies would make it possible to set caps on individual campaign contributions

Intermediate conclusion 2: reducing the likelihood that elected officials will be working for the benefit not of the public but of individual large contributors

Conclusion: Campaigns for elective office should be subsidized with public funds

Critic:

Premise 1: the more the caps constrain conributions, the more time candidates have to spend funding more small contributors

Conclusion: Political advocate's argument is problematic (I understand this as critic thinks campaign for elective office should be subsidized with public funds to be problematic)

2. Did you prephrase an answer to the question in the stem? If so, what was your prephrase?

I could not prephrase an answer as I was not able to find a flaw in critic's argument

3. What exactly made the other answer choices particularly attractive? Did you use any question type-specific test (e.g. Assumption Negation Technique) to differentiate between them?

This is flaw in reasoning question.

A and E seemed attractive because they would weaken the critic's argument.
I do understand that we are not trying to weaken critic's argument but I didn't know what was the flaw.
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Young,

Perhaps some of the difficulty you're having on this question stems from a misunderstanding of the question stem. You state that your task is to weaken the critic's argument when in fact the question asks you to describe how the critic addresses a flaw in the advocate's argument.

Thus, your task here is to ascertain the manner in which the critic objects to the advocate's reasoning. You are correct to note that the critic concludes that the advocate's argument that "campaigns for elective office should be subsidized with public funds" is problematic.

You have done an admirable job breaking down the mechanics of these arguments, but an apparent misunderstanding of the question stem undermines your good work.

The critic notes that with caps on contributions, officials may still not have more time to serve the public because they will need to spend more time finding small contributors. Abstractly, one of the arguments in favor of subsidizing campaigns for elective office undermines another argument in favor of subsidies. This prephrasing matches answer choice (C).
 jiyounglee
|
Thank you Jonathan!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.