LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

eober
|
Hi,

When we are approaching a "flaw" question do we treat the answer choice as it is necessary for the conclusion to be properly drawn? I don't understand why we needed answer choice D and how the addition of this gets rid of the flaw. First thing I thought of was "whether previously they did not have access". Could you clarify the question please?

Thanks
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi eober,

Thanks for your question. I think you confuse Flaw with Assumption questions. When attacking an Assumption question stem, you need to identify a statement upon which the conclusion depends, i.e. something without which the conclusion does not logically follow. With Flaw questions, your job is to describe the logical flaw in the argument. Granted, some logical flaws involve unwarranted assumptions; others do not. The key with Flaw questions is to understand and prephrase - in your own words - why the conclusion of the argument is improperly drawn.

Regarding Question 5 in D95, the author argues that the three independent reviewers will be able to determine the accuracy of the museum's report, because these reviewers will have full access to all the documents on which the report is based. You should immediately see the problem with this line of reasoning: what if the documents are forged or omit important information? What if museum "cooked the books," if you will? The author ignores this possibility, which is why answer choice (D) is correct. None of the other answer choices have any bearing on the conclusion at hand.

Hope this clears things up!

Thanks!
 eober
|
Thank you that definitely helped! I think I don't prephrase sometimes because I am trying to be quick...

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.