LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

chian9010
|
Hi Powerscore,

I have a question about this main point question.

Could you let me know which one is the conclusion? I first thought the conclusion is "The only reason for an elected official to avoid the appearance of impropriety is to maintain public approval and popularity" Therefore, I selected B.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Chian,

This isn't actually a Main Point question, but rather a Must Be True, so the conclusion is actually something we must infer rather than anything stated in the stimulus. And when we combine all the premises given by the stimulus, we can infer that, according to the stimulus, politicians don't have any obligation to avoid the appearance of impropriety, which is what (A) restates.

Hope this helps!
 bearcats123
|
Hi can someone tell me why D is the wrong answer choice. I limited it down to A and D and I think I may have tried to make the answer choice work and not been as strict on it. Plus I thought "never" was too strong of a word for the answer choice.. is that a good reason to eliminate the answer in itself? Strong language?

Thanks!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey bearcats! Your last point is right on the money. "Never" is a very strong word that should always make us a bit nervous on a Must be True question like this one. Indeed, the big problem with D is that it's too strong; we just don't know that the public never approves of such an elected official. The information in the stimulus here just doesn't lead us to that strong of a conclusion. Answer Choice A, on the other hand, follows logically from what's in our stimulus.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.