LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

PB410
|
I believe this is question 18 from prep test 17, December 1995. It is a method of reasoning question. I struggled with the meaning of the use "more telling" in answer choice D, as in "distinguishing a category of person for whom the reason presented in favor of a given course of action is more telling than the reason cited against that course of action". I don't really know what "more telling" means in this context.
The first part of the answer makes sense in identifying anyone with deeply held values as "distinguishing a category of person", but then I got lost in finding how "more telling"relates to the relationship of the opposing courses of action. I read "more telling" to invoke some kind of moral assessment that could be made on parents based on which course of action is decided, which isn't conveyed in the stimulus.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi PB,

Good question! "More telling" here is meant to equal something along the lines of "more indicative" or "more important." Perhaps more literally, it means "it tells us more" about the group (which in this case is "anyone with deeply held values").

As far as a value judgment, I would say the Dillworth makes one, namely when saying, "foregoing parenthood...would probably be a mistake." Thus, Dillworth can be seen as saying that anyone with deeply held values, the best chance of perpetuating their values is by having children, and that's more important than the potential ungratefulness of children.

Tricky wording there, and thanks for raising the point—I hadn't previously realized that could be clearer on LSAC's part!
 acp25
|
Hi!

I am working on the Logical Reasoning Question Type Training Book on p. 67, question #29 which is a Main Point question. The answer key states that the question is from December 1995, LR 1 #19.

I can't figure out why E is the right answer. I may also mistakenly identified the conclusion, which I chose as the last sentence after "Therefore..." Please advise. Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, acp25! This is one of those stimuli that has two questions after it, a type we haven't seen on an actual test for a long while. I've started a new thread to discuss it with you, and you can join that discussion here:

lsat/viewtopic.php?f=656&t=18209

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.