LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

est15
|
[Question content removed by Admin. LSAC rules unfortunately do not allow the posting of the text of complete LSAT questions. But, if you give us the test date or PrepTest number, the section, and the question number (which I put into the question title), we can find it easily and still answer the question. Thanks!]

I understand that the mistake in the argument is that there may be vessels produced during the Shang dynasty that don't have the taotie; therefore, the speaker can't make this conclusion. However, I am having trouble deciding amongst C, D, and E. To me, the answer choices all sound really similar. (The answer turned out to be D). Can you explain why the answer is D, not C or E? Thanks.
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your question, est15! (and sorry I had to edit your original post)

You're right that this a tricky question with answer choices that are very similar. The flaw is an error of over-generalization , but it includes language of conditionality that the test then uses to complicate the answer choices. The premise creates a conditional relationship between the gu, hu, and jue subset of vessels and the taotie pattern, which is most easily written as three separate relationships.

gu ----> taotie
hu ----> taotie
jue ---> taotie

The argument then expands beyond those three subset vessel to draw an inference about vessels in general:

NO taotie -----> NOT authentic vessel

If the conclusion were confined to the three types of vessel mentioned in the premise, it would be fine. But to expand the taotie requirement to all vessels without support is a logical flaw.

You asked specifically about C, D and E. The language requires a close reading, and is a good reminder of the need to ensure that you can directly connect the language of the answer choice in an abstract question type to the part of the argument it's describing.

In (C), the "some members" refers to the gu, hu and jue subset of vessels. The "category" refers to bronze libation vessels. The "characteristic" refers to bearing the taotie inscription. So, choice (C) says the argument treats the fact that the gu, hu and jue vessels have the taotie as sufficient evidence that other vessels that bear the taotie are also bronze libation vessels. This did not occur in the stimulus.

In (D), "some members" again refers to the gu, hu and jue subset of vessels, "category" refers to bronze libation vessels, and the "characteristic" again refers to bearing the taotie inscription. However, choice (D) says the argument treats the fact that the gu, hu and jue subset bear the taotie inscription as enough to show that it is necessary to have the taotie in order to be an authentic bronze libation vessel. This accurately describes argument, and is correct.

In (E), the "certain specific objects" are the gu, hu and jue subset of vessels, the "category" refers to bronze libation vessels, and the "some other objects" refers to bronze libation vessels other than gu, hu and jue. (E) refers to the libation vessels other than gu, hu and jue having a characteristic, but the stimulus did not describe any such characteristic. Instead, it was the absence of a characteristic, the taotie, that was held out as evidence.

Hope that helps. Remember that in the more difficult questions, it is subtle differences in language that creates the complexity. The more confusing the language becomes, the more you have to focus and make sure you know what precisely to what they're referring.

Ron
 est15
|
Thank you so much for your explanation. I was having trouble figuring out what the test writers were referring to, and your explanation helped me understand the answer choices.
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You're welcome! I'm glad it helped. :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.