LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

mikecerang
|
I haven't checked the answer and reviewing in real time. I will follow the process elimination to find the correct answer.

Flaw in reasoning is that "Redimed is the cold treatment to choose because people who use it have less severe symptoms than those who don't".
What if the ones who have less severe symptoms initially choose Redimed meaning that Redimed doesn't do much?

A)Wrong. Doesnt sound right

B) Wrong. Doesnt match my rephrase of the flaw.

C) Wrong. Uses a survey which doesnt match the passage

D) Right? After doing process of elimination, this seems to be the correct answer. It matches the wording of the passage by saying that "the lubricant to select is graphite". It matches the flaw. What if less stiffer locks use graphite more often? Then the graphite doesn't do much.

E) Wrong. Doesnt match the passage. Uses technique of outside expert.
 Charlie Melman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mike,

You're right that answer choice (D) is correct. The flaw here is assuming that correlation implies causation, which is a classic LSAT favorite. You weakened the stimulus by providing an alternate cause, which is one of several ways to weaken such arguments.

Answer choice (A) says that if you don't do something, an undesirable result will occur. This is not the same as implying that correlation implies causation.

Answer choice (B) just gives factual support for its conclusion.

Answer choice (C) does the same.

Answer choice (D) is correct. It, like the stimulus, says makes a claim without considering alternate causes that could bring about the same effect.

Answer choice (E) gives a bad reason for doing something, but doesn't make any causal error.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.