LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jay
|
Hello. Powerscore

I think I get why B is correct.
The "certain activity" in (B) is the whaling of endangered species,
and "any other activity that interferes with the enforcement of that prohibition" is "the whaling of all other species." Correct?

Why is D wrong?
I thought
"ends" in D is "stopping whaling of endangered species"
and "all actions that are instrumental in achieving ends" are "ban on the whaling of endangered species and all other species, altogether".

Because D is essentially saying that these actions(ban on whaling of all species) are permissible, Isn't it correct?

Or, is it incorrect because D says "permissible"? while the conclusion in Stimulus uses the word "should", which implies recommendation.

Thank you!
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jay!

After reading the stimulus, you could come up with a pre-phrased principle that sounds something like this: "If effectively banning an individual activity (hunting endangered whales) is impossible without banning a broader category of activities (hunting all whales), then the broader category should be banned." You're absolutely right that Answer Choice (B) gives us this principle, and that "whaling" is the "certain activity."

Your instinct about the word "permissible" in Answer Choice (D) is spot on. We need a principle that strengthens the activist's recommendation to ban all whaling, not to simply make it okay to ban whaling.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.