LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Resolve the Paradox. The correct answer choice is (D)

First, we're given two cost plus contract models: fixed percentage, where a contractor is paid as a set percent of costs, and fixed amount, where a contractor is paid a set amount above whatever costs are reported.

Since higher contractor costs would yield higher profits under a fixed percentage type of cost plus contract—since the amount paid is directly proportional to those costs—it would be reasonable to expect a contractor might inflate the costs in order to increase profits. That is, if I'm being paid X percent of whatever I spend (or claim to spend), I'm going to spend as much as possible (or claim to) to maximize my pay out!

However, the opposite is true: under these fixed percentage contracts it's less common to find final costs in excess of the original estimate than in a fixed amount model, meaning the artificial inflation ideas described above appears not to be happening. And therein lies your paradox!

So we need a reason why that might be the case. Hard to know exactly what it will be in advance—which is fine!—but one possible cause that comes to mind (for a lot of students, anyway) is a potential difference in oversight between the two types of contracts: if clients are far more attentive to costs when they know they'll be paying contractors based on them, that would likely serve to keep those contractors more budget-conscious (and more honest).

Answer choice (A): The basis by which a client agrees to take on one contract or another occurs long before the issue in the stimulus paradox, and therefore has no effect on the given situation.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice would not provide any assistance in straightening out the stimulus paradox, as it would affect each of the contract types equally.

Answer choice (C): Again, this answer choice would not provide any assistance in resolving the stimulus paradox, as it would affect each of the contract types equally.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. This would provide a direct reason for the contractors in a fixed percentage contract to refrain from piling up costs beyond the initial estimates, as any such increases would spark a client review and potentially lead to trouble with that client. Note that it also takes into account the comparative nature of the stimulus, where we're not told that inflated billing doesn't occur in a fixed percentage contract, but that it occurs less commonly than in a fixed amount contract. This answer includes that comparative aspect, further supporting its resolving effect.

Answer choice (E): This would actually confuse the issue further, as it would make it more likely that contractors under fixed profit contracts would avoid cost overruns, since their original estimates were exaggerated. Some people get tripped up by this answer because they miss the idea that it involves initial estimates being inflated, rather than actual reported costs being inflated (which is what the paradox deals with). Be careful!
 reop6780
|
I cannot clarify "the fixed-profit kind" in the very last sentence of stimuli.

Does it mean the second kind of contract with "a fixed amount of profit over and above costs" alone, or the fixed-profit kind in general, which includes both of the kinds, "profit as a fixed percentage," and "fixed amount of profit over..." ?

Also, I need a help understanding how answer D resolve the paradox in the stimuli.

Thank you
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question - I hope I can help.

First, as to the meaning of "fixed profit" in the last line of the stimulus, they are referring to the kind of cost-plus contract where the profit is unchanging regardless of the cost. That's the second type described in the stimulus, the one with a fixed amount rather than a fixed percentage. It would be nice if they were just a little clearer with the terminology, but the context should help since they are saying that you would expect cost overruns to be more common with the first type (percentage of cost) but then say that there is a paradox.

So how does D help to resolve that paradox? By bringing in some important new information about the behavior of the clients in these contracts. If those clients tend to scrutinize the invoices on the fixed percentage of profit contracts closely, looking for waste, and they don't do that on fixed amount contracts, you can imagine two factors at work. First, clients with fixed percentage contracts will be more likely to find waste and curtail it through negotiations, complaints, etc. than would clients with fixed amount contracts. Second, contractors, knowing how their clients will behave, would be more likely to carefully watch their costs on fixed percentage contracts than on fixed amount contracts. Both of those factors might contribute to fewer cost overruns on fixed percentage contracts, contrary to expectations.

I hope that was clear and helpful. Good luck in your further studies and on the test!
 bli2016
|
Hi, I still don't understand why E is not the correct answer, because I thought that it explicitly stated why fixed-profit contracts tend to have cost overruns (because even deliberately exaggerated cost estimates makes the profit appear modest), thereby resolving the paradox. Could you further elaborate on why E is not the answer? Thank you.
 Charlie Melman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
bli2016 wrote:Hi, I still don't understand why E is not the correct answer, because I thought that it explicitly stated why fixed-profit contracts tend to have cost overruns (because even deliberately exaggerated cost estimates makes the profit appear modest), thereby resolving the paradox. Could you further elaborate on why E is not the answer? Thank you.
Hi bli,

We want to know why fixed-profit contracts have more overruns relative to cost estimatesthan fixed-cost contracts. Answer choice (E) tells us that lots of fixed-profit contractors submit exaggerated cost estimates. This only makes the paradox stronger: if fixed-profit estimates are exaggerated to begin with, then it's even weirder that they're overrunning their estimates more than fixed-cost estimates.

This does not explain why fixed-profit contracts have overruns. In fact, if their initial estimates are artificially high, it's more confusing that they have overruns. We want an answer that tells us why the weirdness—the paradox—in the stimulus is happening. Answer choice (D) does that. It strongly implies that clients of fixed-cost contractors, but not fixed-profit contractors, are incentivizing their clients to keep costs down.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Hope this helps.
 onlywinter
|
The Administrator's answer should be reviewed. It differentiates between cost-plus contracts and non cost-plus contracts. This is NOT what the stimulis describes. The latter goes into the difference between two different types of cost-plus contracts: a fixed-percentage contract and a fixed price contract.

As for answer E, this is a shell game. Cost estimates and contracts are not the same thing.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey onlywinter - I agree with you here for the most part: the explanation up top should be clearer on the types of cost plus contracts described—fixed percentage vs fixed amount—rather than simply describing cost-plus contracts as a whole. So I'm going to edit that explanation accordingly!

Thanks for letting us know!
 onlywinter
|
Thank you for providing such a wealth of information on this forum!
 cmorris32
|
Hi Powerscore,

Honestly, I am really stuck with this question. I eliminated D fairly early because I feel like it didn't really do anything to help explain why cost overruns are more common if the contract is fixed-profit.

Answer Choice D refers to "clients billed under a cost-plus contract." Cost-plus contracts include BOTH the fixed-percent and the fixed-profit. If clients of the fixed-profit contracts are free to review individual billings, then wouldn't cost overruns not be very common in either cost-plus contract? It actually feels kind of like a contradiction to me.

I might be missing something in the stimulus or misreading the answer choice, because I really can't figure this one out! I would appreciate any help I can get on this one! :-? :-? :-?
- Caroline
 blade21cn
|
Just wanna provide a quick answer to the previous post. (D) started with "clients billed under a cost-plus contract," but it restricts its application at the end - "but they do so only when the contractor's profit varies with cost." So essentially, it's saying "only clients under fixed percentage cost-plus contracts would review individual billings to undercover wasteful expenditures," thus drawing the distinction between the two types.

Actually, I also have a quick question of my own. Can I eliminate (B) and (C) based on the fact that they both further restrict the scenarios, essentially only attempting to resolve the paradox in narrower circumstances, thus failing to resolving the paradox in the general sense as laid out in the stimulus. Specifically, (B) talks about "on long-term contracts," while the stimulus did not provide such a qualification. Similarly, (C) deals only with "sizable construction projects." Just felt if this is a viable strategy, it'll come in handy with future resolve questions. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.