LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Lockhart4
|
I selected this answer choice (D) for another reason, although I see the obvious reason now.

"If soup is made with a well-seasoned meat stock and fresh ingredients, it will always be welcome at dinner. Since to his meat stock Arnold added only very fresh ingredients, the resulting soup is certain to be welcome at dinner."

The switch to "only" is what caught my eye. Is this another justified reason to select this answer choice?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Not really Lockhart. The issue isn't with the fresh ingredients, it's with the stock. We don't know that the stock is well seasoned, just like in the stimulus we don't know the food is yummy. It's the exact same error. The only is some what irrelevant to the issue here.

Hope that helps!
 annabelle.swift
|
Hi, I got this question correct, but just wanted to discuss my reasoning for eliminating B b/c it does not match the administrator's explanation.

I eliminated B b/c I actually thought that it was good reasoning. I diagrammed the premise as B + H  :arrow:  M + S. I diagrammed the conclusion simply as a partial repetition of the premise: B + H  :arrow:  M.

I did this because I thought George knew that baking corn with its husks on would guarantee a moist result. I thought in the conclusion, he was trying to replicate the conditional relationship in the premise (kind of like following a recipe).

Where did I go wrong with this? Thank you! :)
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
annabelle.swift,

I'm going to side with the Administrator here! George wants to ensure moist corn. There is a certain way to do that - to bake the corn with its husks on. So far, so good - baking the corn that way would ensure it's moist. But there is no indication that that's the only way to ensure the corn will be moist - to think otherwise is a Mistaken Reversal. So, while George's proposed actions will ensure moist corn, they aren't the only way to do so, so it's a flaw to think he must do what may be only one way to ensure moist corn.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.