LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (B)

Carl points out that while extensive pain protocols and regulations govern experimentation on animals, no such protocols are required for humans who undergo operations. He states that if lawmakers were as concerned about humans as they are about animals, there would exist pain protocols for humans, which infers (through the contrapositive) his unstated conclusion that lawmakers are less concerned about humans than about animals.

Debbie focuses on the obvious, which is that humans are in a better position to understand and decide for themselves whether to undergo a situation involving pain. She concludes that pain protocols are not necessary. Debbie's argument is based on implying that humans are very different from animals in an important way, which is equivalent to attacking an analogy between humans and animals.

You are asked how Debbie attempts to counter Carl's argument, so you need to focus on the fact that she introduces information that calls into question the analogy between humans and animals.

As a point of interest, Debbie's response is referred to as an "attempt" because Debbie does not successfully counter Carl's argument, and because Carl does not necessarily assume that humans and animals are analogous. Whether or not humans are in a better position to understand and make decisions, a failure to create pain protocol legislation could still signify a relative lack of concern for humans on the part of legislators. And, Carl might not assume that humans and animals are similar, because he might just believe that pain protocol would be created to protect any organism for which one has concern, regardless of that organism's intellectual faculties. However, in two-part stimuli you should let the characters battle it out for you, and not worry too much about deeper analysis unless the question demands it.

Answer choice (A) Debbie does not demonstrate that any claim in Carl's argument is inaccurate, so this choice is wrong. Carl may or may not make the assumption that experiments on animals are analogous to operations on humans, but assumptions are unstated, while claims are explicitly stated.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Debbie supposes that Carl's argument is based on the assumption that operations on humans and experiments on animals represent analogous situations, and Debbie does undermine that possible assumption by pointing out that humans have the ability to decide for themselves.

Answer choice (C) Maybe it is true that Carl's argument is based on sentimentality, but Debbie never mentions the issue, so this choice is wrong. Furthermore, it would be inappropriate to criticize Carl's argument on the basis that it is sentimental. Since Carl is attempting to demonstrate that legislators demonstrate a lack of concern, which is a sentiment, a certain degree of sentimental consideration is not only appropriate but also probably required.

Answer choice (D) Debbie does not draw an analogy, she attacks an analogy that she supposes Carl is assuming.

Answer choice (E) Debbie addresses what she supposes Carl assumes-- an analogy between humans and animals. Debbie does not respond directly to any of Carl's claims, so this response is incorrect. Furthermore, Debbie's argument is based on a generality, not a specific example. Specifics involve data or observations about an actual or alleged event, person, etc. Hypothetical situations and generalities such as the abstraction of what may happen in a surgeon's office are not specifics, and should not be referred to as specifics.
 egarcia193
|
Hi,

in this question, i chose A because I did not see any analogy in stimulus, I looked at every answer choice with an analogy and eliminated them because I could not find one I even reread the stimulus over and over trying to find an analogy but couldn't. I know that an analogy is a comparison between two things that are similar although still different in themselves from each other, but I didn't even consider that Carl's comparisons between humans and animals was an analogy to me he was simply stating facts about laws that were created in related to animals and that these laws are absent for humans, I don't see that as an analogy I see it more as fact based information which is why I couldn't see an analogy every time I looked back at the stimulus. How is an analogy everytime I've seen an analogy in a question so far it is usually obvious and is used in an attempt to prove a concept( from what I have seen generally more abstract or one lacking evidence) correct such as comparing human consciousness to that of a radio program and a broken human brain to a radio program in attempt to prove that consciousness could still exist after death like that of a radio program to a broken radio. Am I misinterpreting the use of an analogy too narrow or is there something I am not understanding because I don't see how there was an analogy in this question?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I do believe that you are thinking of analogies too narrowly. You yourself even described the relationship between animals and humans in this stimulus as a comparison. Whenever a speaker is drawing a conclusion by comparing two things, the speaker is creating analogy.

Analogies can be fact based! :-D If there weren't, then there would be no point to using them to support a non-hypothetical argument.
 egarcia193
|
Thank you for clearing that up! I feel more comfortable now knowing that I was Looking at analogies much too narrow and that there are different ways they can appear as comparisons
 JoshuaDEL
|
Hello,

I chose D instead of B because I actually thought Debbie was making an analogy while Carl wasn't. Could you clarify what analogy exactly means in LSAT (or just in general) and how Carl used an analogy while Debbie doesn't?

Thanks in advance.
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Joshua,

Carl thinks that lawmakers care more about animals than they do about humans because the law mandates elaborate procedures to monitor and reduce the pain experienced by animals, but similar procedures do not exist for operations conducted on humans. Debbie argues that human beings do not need "pain protocols" because unlike experimental animals, humans are capable of informed consent, meaning they can be told about the pain involved in an operation and make an informed decision about whether the pain is worth it. (B) points out a relevant difference between humans and animals that weakens Carl's argument.

(D) is wrong because Debbie does not compare the pain protocol issue to anything else. Her argument hinges on the subject matter at hand: humans and lab animals.

An analogy would bring in another issue to explain or describe the lab animals/humans issue.

Best,
Eveline

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.