LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

I know this is a flaw question that is asking what the flaw is in Dodson's argument; Dodson: therefore, the people who built the ring were not knowledgeable about celestial events. B/C there are many stones in the ring so the change that one pair will point in a celestially significant direction is large.

I chose D; Is D incorrect b/c Dodson doesn't base his conclusion around the historians opinion, but the way the stones are laid out? A is correct because what he states about how the stones are set is his evidence? and from there he concludes that that evidence is false? Is my thought processes correct with this question

Thankyou
Sarah
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there Sarah, thanks for the question. I think you are right about what's wrong with D - Dobson did not make the mistake of treating an opinion as if it were a factual claim. Since Flaw questions fall into the Must Be True family, they are subject to the "Fact Test" and we have to reject any answers that bring up new information. The concept of "opinion" here is new info - it wasn't in the stimulus - and so it must be rejected.

So what did Dobson actually do wrong? Think about his argument - he points out that the placement of those stones COULD be just a coincidence. Suggesting that does weaken the claim made by the historians by introducing an element of doubt, saying that their evidence doesn't necessarily support their conclusion. Where he goes wrong is in determining not that the historians COULD be wrong, but that they ARE wrong. He merely weakened their argument, but acted as if he had destroyed it. A little overconfident! This happens occasionally on the LSAT, and if we were to try to fit this into one of our classic Flaw categories it would probably be as one of those evidence flaws that says something like "some evidence against a position is taken as proving that position is incorrect."

So, it's not about basing his argument on the placement of the stones - it's about making too strong a claim based on that evidence.

Hope that helped!
 queenbee
|
Hi
I chose D as well because I thought it was Dibson' opinion that he was taking as fact.

I dont really understand why A is correct. The cited evidence is that the stones line up to sunrise at the spring equinox. How is that taken as the evidence is false?

Thank you
Neeli
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Neeli!

To understand why (A) is correct, it can be helpful to add specifics from the stimulus to the general terms used in that answer choice.

Answer choice (A) refers to "The failure of cited evidence [the placement/alignment of two stones are the cited evidence] to establish a statement [the statement is that builders were knowledgeable about celestial events] is taken as evidence that that statement [that they were knowledgeable about celestial events] is false."

Dobson argues that there were numerous stones, such that it is highly likely that two of them could be paired together in some "celestially significant direction." From this, Dobson concludes that the builders must not have been knowledgeable about celestial events. However, just because it is possible that multiple stones might be paired in significant directions doesn't prove that the builders were not knowledgeable about celestial events. The two indicated stones might still be indications that they did have such knowledge. And even if this were not the case, it's still possible that they were knowledgeable about celestial events in ways not reflected by the placement of these stones.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.