LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning-SN. The correct answer choice is (A)

The cold sufferer begins with a hypothesis that the mixture were effective. If that hypothesis were true, everyone with a cold would be using the mixture. Because not everyone does, it cannot be effective. Observant test-takers will notice the conditional reasoning that underlies this argument:

• Premise (1): ..... Effective → Everyone uses

Premise (2): ..... Everyone uses

Conclusion: ..... Effective
Essentially, the cold sufferer establishes that her hypothesis (about the effectiveness of the herbal mixture) is false by virtue of showing that it would, if true, require something that is false (everyone using the mixture). Answer choice (A) is the closest answer to this prephrase and is therefore correct.

Answer choice (A) This is the correct answer choice. It is important to understand the abstract language used in this answer in terms of the actual substantive elements of the argument:

• Claim = mixture is effective

Consequence = everyone using it

False consequence = not everyone using it

False claim = mixture not effective
Answer choice (B) The cold sufferer does not accept a claim; she rejects one. This answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (C) The conditions required to establish the truth of the claim that the mixture is effective are actually not met, since not everyone is using the mixture. This answer choice describes exactly the opposite of what the cold sufferer does and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (D) The author does not base a generalization on a representative group of instances: she only hypothesizes what would happen if the mixture were effective. This answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (E) The cold sufferer does not suspect the mixture would make recovery more difficult. This answer choice is incorrect.
 mpoulson
|
Hello,

I got this question correct through process of elimination. However, I was left still not feeling particularly confident about my answer choice. Can you explain what A is saying in a simpler way or way that someone not currently studying for the LSAT would understand? The part "if true have consequences that are false" is the most difficult. What specifically is this referring too. I read the analysis in the book, but was looking for further guidance.

Respectfully,

Micah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Micah,

Let's improve the syntax of answer choice (A) and see if that helps :)

Answer choice (A) states: Finding a claim (the mixture is an effective cold remedy) to be false ("it's obviously not effective") on the grounds that it would, if true, have consequences that are false (if it were effective, most people would be using it. But they aren't!). This captures the method of reasoning in the argument perfectly well, which is why it's the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Thanks!
 mpoulson
|
This is perfect. It was what I assumed it meant, but wasn't sure at the time. Thank you.
 yrivers
|
Nikki,

I've read the explanation above many times but I'm still lost on the word FALSE. Wouldn't this have to read TRUE not FALSE for A to be correct?

Per the above:
Answer choice (A) states: Finding a claim (the mixture is an effective cold remedy) to be false ("it's obviously not effective") on the grounds that it would, if true, have consequences that are false (if it were effective, most people would be using it. But they aren't!).

I read the "have consequences that are false" as people aren't using. I think it should read "finding a claim to be false on the grounds that it would, if true, have consequences that are true (if it were effective, most people would be using it.)

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what the "if true" is modifying in A. Is it saying "if the claim is true (aka if it's effective)" or if it's true that the claim is false...

What am I missing? Thank you!

Yaesul
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Yaesul,

The "consequences" here refer to the effectiveness, or consequences, of taking the cold medicine -- you take it, and the consequence is that your cold gets better.

We can make this inference since the claim also refers to the effectiveness of the drug.

Good luck studying!

Athena Dalton
 PB410
|
Hi,

I read each post for this question, but am still uncertain about answer choice A's meaning.
Is it essentially saying that finding the claim that the herbal mixture is not effective (therefore false), on the grounds that if true( meaning if true that the herbal mixture is not effective and some people's claims are false), that the consequences would be that the original claims of effectiveness would be false?

Thanks!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi PB410,

Let's try breaking down (A) into a few parts:
  • (A) finding [a claim] to be false on the grounds that [it would if true] have [consequences that are false]
The "a claim" is referring to the claim that the new herbal mixture containing purple coneflower and goldenseal can cure colds.

If it were true that the new herbal mixture could cure colds, the argument reasons that everybody would be using that mixture--since many people have colds but don't use it, the argument concludes the new mixture doesn't cure colds. The "consequences that are false" language refers to the argument's method of reasoning that everyone would be using the new mixture if it were effective, so the fact that everyone is not using it is therefore evidence it is not effective in curing colds.
 egarcia193
|
Hi

I got this one wrong and I am still having a hard time understanding why A is correct and have read the other explanations but I still don't understand the last part of A fully. The first part "finding a claim to be false" I understand relates to the claim that if the claim were true and the cold remedy was effective everyone would be using it. the second part "if true would have consequences that were false" is what confuses me, I Don't really understand what he is saying? if the claim were true and everyone would be taking it but the fact that their not proves that he is true? is that right? and if it is that doesn't make sense to me if the first part were true then everyone would take it proving him false and the fact even if there are so many people with colds not taking it proves nothing, for example, they could not know it even exists or afford it. Is my analysis correct or am I missing something? is there a way to better explain this in a way that is easier to understand?
 tejinder12
|
egarcia193 wrote:Hi

I got this one wrong and I am still having a hard time understanding why A is correct and have read the other explanations but I still don't understand the last part of A fully. The first part "finding a claim to be false" I understand relates to the claim that if the claim were true and the cold remedy was effective everyone would be using it. the second part "if true would have consequences that were false" is what confuses me, I Don't really understand what he is saying? if the claim were true and everyone would be taking it but the fact that their not proves that he is true? is that right? and if it is that doesn't make sense to me if the first part were true then everyone would take it proving him false and the fact even if there are so many people with colds not taking it proves nothing, for example, they could not know it even exists or afford it. Is my analysis correct or am I missing something? is there a way to better explain this in a way that is easier to understand?
Can someone please answer this question. Im also really confused on this answer choice part of "if true have consequences that are false."

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.