LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powescore,

For this question I thought that the answer is A and actually it is E. I just want to know why A is wrong and E is the right answer.

Now, that I thought about it, is it because in A, the wording is too strong "should allways" but the language in the stimulus seemed strong too.

Thanks in advance

Ellen
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellenb,

Thanks again for your question. The issue with (A) is an answer choice is not that it's strongly worded. Given that you're looking for a principle that justifies the answer choice, stronger emphasis or certainty (e.g. only, always) is actually an asset. Answer choice A however, does not directly address the problem identified in the stimulus. That is the problem is that juries may acquit defendants they do believe to be guilty, to avoid excessive sentences. A, which specifies that juries should acquit when they are *NOT* sure of guilt, does not actually address or resolve that problem, nor does it undermine the advocate's conclusion that therefore mandatory jail sentences should be repealed.

E, on the other hand, indicates that a change of the type contemplated (reversing the mandatory sentencing rule) should only take place if there is no alternative solution. Since there may be alternatives solutions that will fix the problem of wrong verdicts (i.e. acquitting a guilty defendant), this does undermine the advocate's claim. We don't need to know what those solutions might be, it's enough that there's a possibility.

Hope this helps!!
Beth
 mN2mmvf
|
BethRibet wrote:We don't need to know what those solutions might be, it's enough that there's a possibility.
How do we even know that there's a possibility? I don't see anything in the stimulus that suggests that.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi MN,

The public advocate sets up a false dichotomy: either we allow the current law to stand, with all its faults, or we must repeal it to get rid of its faults. The public advocate's conclusion is that the latter is necessary, because the problem he cites (guilty defendants being acquitted soley based on their mandatory punishment if convicted) is so grave that it requires repeal.

(E) challenges this false dichotomy by introducing the possibility that instead of a full repeal of a law, we may instead modify it so as to reduce or eliminate the problems it currently has. So flexibility in sentencing could be introduced, with judges given more leeway, or mandatory minimum sentences be reduced, and thus weakens the necessity of a full repeal of the law.

Hope this clears things up!
 dbrowning
|
Hi,

I chose 'B' over E, and I think it may be a language issue. I took "A system of justice should clearly define what
the specific actions are that judges are to perform within the system." to refer to the idea that judges should not have discretionary power - instead, their actions should be clearly defined. The mandatory sentencing laws would provide this clear definition for action.

I also see why E is correct, but I chose B because B presents a definitive statement, whereas E presents a conditional. Definitive statements, all other things equal, are stronger than conditionals.

Am I correct in my assessment that I made a mistake of language assuming that "actions" equated to judge's sentencing?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi D,

The fact that the correct answer choice is a conditional doesn't matter if it does what we need it to do. Here, we want to rebut the public advocate, and that means we need to conclude that a reversal of the existing laws is not necessary, which is what the contrapositive of (E) gives us.

The issue with (B) is that we don't know that strictly defining judges' actions (including sentencing) matters to the public advocate's argument; we'd need to know the specifics of how their actions/powers are defined. One could, for example, define judges' powers as discretionary, or as we have now, force mandatory sentences on them. Either way, the actions they are to perform are strictly defined, while the actual argument is over whether they should have discretion by law or not.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.