LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Main Point. The correct answer choice is (A).

This is a Main Point question, meaning that we are being asked to find the main conclusion of the author's argument. The main conclusion is whatever the author is trying to convince us of, or get us to believe. The argument must provide support (or premises) for the main conclusion, but the main conclusion should not be used to support anything else. In a Main Point question, it is very important to have a clear understanding of which statement in the stimulus is the main conclusion BEFORE you go to the answer choices. If you don't have a strong prephrase, the answer choices are not going to help you out.

In this argument, the statement for which we have support is the 2nd sentence: "It is probably more effective to advertise bicycles earlier in the year." The final 2 sentences tells us why we should believe that statement. Why is it probably more effective to advertise bicycles earlier in the year? Because most bicycles are purchased in the spring but shoppers decide what bike they want to buy well before they make that purchase and waiting until spring to advertise is too late to change their mind.

We're looking for an answer choice that matches our prephrase, that "It is probably more effective to advertise bicycles earlier in the year."

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. It matches are prephrase that bicycles should be advertised before the weather is warm enough for them to start riding.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is a premise (3rd sentence) that is used to support the main point. It helps explain why it is probably better to advertise earlier.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is part of the premise in the 3rd sentence that is used to support the main point.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is a premise (last sentence) that is used to support the main point. It helps explain why it is probably better to advertise earlier.

Answer choice (E): This is the first sentence. It sets up the context for our argument, but it is not the main point.
 naickin
|
For PT 21 Section 3 Question 2 I thought the right answer to be B. I was between B and D but both are wrong, for the correct answer is A. If someone can help explain why B and D are incorrect that would greatly help me in moving forward.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi naickin!

Please see the Correct Question Explanation I've added above and let us know if you have any further questions!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.