LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

rachue
|
I got this one correct but I still have no idea why. Could someone please explain why A is correct to me?

This is how I diagrammed the stimulus:

decrease in supply of jet fuel (and increasing demand) --> increase in the price of jet fuel
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This is an interesting causal problem, so hopefully the arrow you used is a causal one, and not a conditional one.

You've got the effect correct, so let's look at the statements in the stimulus that relate to the cause:

1. There's been a decrease in the supply relative to the demand;

2. Yet, there's more supply today than last year.

So, if there's a greater supply today, but it is lower relative to the demand, there's only one possible conclusion: demand has increased over the past year.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Heather
|
Hi Dave,

Could you please elaborate on this? I don't understand how supply 'relative' to demand works.
I understand the first sentence to mean that demand was high or constant and supply was high and hence there was an increase in price.
However, how does that equate to a further increase in demand when supply increases as per answer choice A? Isn't the increase in supply simply a result of the previous increase in demand? Why does it have to mean that demand increased the following year as well? It could have stayed constant for all we know.

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Heather,

"Relative to" in this context really just means "compared to." Thus, that first sentence really could read: "...sharp decrease over the past year in the supply of jet fuel available compared to demand." In other words, demand was sharply greater in the last year when compared to the supply of jet fuel. Now, from that sentence alone, any number of scenarios could have been possible as long as demand was higher than supply in a comparison sense. For example, both could have dropped overall, but supply dropped more. Or both could have increased, but supply increased much less. The key in that first sentence is that when related to each other, supply was sharply lesser than demand, creating a classic shortage situation which drove up the price.

The possibilities really get narrowed when the second sentence is added in, because it tells us that the supply today is greater than it was last year. At that point, the first scenario I posited above (both dropping) can't occur. Now, since supply is known to be higher, we can refer back to the first sentence and conclude that if supply is down in comparison to demand, but that supply is up overall, then demand must be up as well. That's what (A) says.

One easy way to grasp this is to use some type of analogy, such as with some other more easily understood liquid, like wine. If the supply of wine is down relative to demand, but there's more wine overall, what happened? Something spurred more demand, and that demand is outstripping the supply, even though it's increased. Or, maybe use something like the new iPhones. That may help cement this idea for you :-D

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Heather
|
That helps a lot! Thanks Dave!
 Johnclem
|
Hi Dave,
I want to make sure I understand your explanation. As I too had a bit of trouble with this question.

So if I am understanding correctly, and I hope I am. The reason demand increased rather than decrease or stay the same is because we have to maintain that relativity or comparison to supply ?

For example : my brother is 10 yrs old. I am 20. ( relative to my brother I am 10 yrs older ). So if my brothers age skyrockets to 20 I must then be 30 .

Thanks
John
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Johnclem wrote:Hi Dave,
I want to make sure I understand your explanation. As I too had a bit of trouble with this question.

So if I am understanding correctly, and I hope I am. The reason demand increased rather than decrease or stay the same is because we have to maintain that relativity or comparison to supply ?

For example : my brother is 10 yrs old. I am 20. ( relative to my brother I am 10 yrs older ). So if my brothers age skyrockets to 20 I must then be 30 .

Thanks
John
Hey John,

Try looking at it like this. You are in the business of selling apples. On day one you have 20 apples to sell (supply), and only two customers (demand). You run your figures and you price the apples at $1 per apple. The two customers buy all 20 of your apples.

On day two you have 40 apples. Now your Chief Financial Officer comes to you and tells you that your supply relative to your demand has sharply dropped from day one and you need to increase your price. How is this possible?

You know that you have more apples than you did yesterday. The only way that the ratio of apples (supply) to customers (demand) could have dropped sharply, is if there is significantly more customers (higher demand).

It turns out that you have five customers today. Your supply has increased by 100%, but the demand (simply represented here by the number of customers) has gone up by 150%.

I hope this analogy helps.

~Shannon

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.