LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

GLMDYP
|
All of the cargo ships of the Blue Star Line are over 100 meters long...[Question content removed by Admin. LSAC rules unfortunately do not allow the posting of the text of complete LSAT questions. But, if you give us the test date or PrepTest number, the section, and the question number (which I put into the question title), we can find it easily and still answer the question. Thanks!]

The answer is (E), but apparently there is a "most" in the stimulus. I am confused.
Thanks!
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for writing in.
The correct answer choice is actually A, not E. If you want to take a look at the problem again, feel free to write back in if you still have a question.

thanks,
Beth
 GLMDYP
|
Oh yes, I got the question answer wrong. The right answer is (A), and now I understand. Thanks! :lol:
 amna.ali467
|
For question 18, all of the answers look wrong to me. I'm not sure how the correct answer is A? Couldn't the S.S. Coral be a Passenger Blue Ship, in which case we don't know if it was built before or after 1980?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

The stimulus contains Formal Logic (fully explained in Lesson 8 Supplemental modules), which can be diagrammed as follows:

BSL Cargo ships :arrow: >100m
BSL Passenger ships :arrow: <100m
BSL :most: Built before 1980
GSL :arrow: Built after 1980 and <100m

The dockside facilities at Port Tropica can accommodate only ships that are <100m, and the SS Coral is a cargo ship docked there. What can be inferred about SS Coral?

First, it cannot be a BSL ship, because all of BSL's cargo ships are >100m. Yes, BSL passenger ships are <100m, but the SS Coral is not a passenger ship (read carefully!). So, since only BSL and GSL ships dock at Port Tropica, the SS Coral must be a GSL cargo ship. All of GSL ships are built after 1980, so we can conclude that the SS Coral was built after 1980.

Does that make sense? Let me know.

Thanks!
 Blueballoon5%
|
Omg, I was stuck on this question for so long because I missed the part where the stimulus stated that SS Coral was a "cargo" ship *facepalm*

Thanks for explaining this, Nikki!! :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.