LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ChicaRosa
|
Unfortunately I don't know which section this question comes from in the Feb 1997 LSAT test but I do have the answer key for this question and I don't know why A is correct and not B?

From my understanding of the stimulus Prof. Popkin will travel by plane to Montreal by leaving every Tuesday and returning to Toronto every Friday. Yet she instructs the travel agent to schedule one round-trip that leaves from Toronto on the 1st Tuesday of the semester and returns to Toronto on the last Friday of the semester as well as additional round trips that depart and return to Montreal for each weekly commute in between.

I thought answer choice B explained the paradox in the situation since it addresses the gap between the first Tuesday and last Friday of the semester.

Thanks!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey ChicaRosa!
This question is #23 in Section IV. I have moved your question into that forum.

An instructor will reply to your question below!
Thanks!
 ChicaRosa
|
Thanks for moving my question to the correct forum and section.

I sure hope someone answers my question soon.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ChicaRosa,

I think you might have mis-read B, which could be what is tripping you us here! According to B, Prof. Popkin would have to pay more for the ticket because of how she requested it be booked. That definitely doesn't resolve the paradox; it just makes it more puzzling. On the other hand, A explains that her method would make it cheaper; if booked the way we might expect, she would leave every Tuesday and come back on Friday, with no Saturday in between the two flights. Booked this way, though, her first flight has months in between the departure and return. Every other flight will be booked with her departing Montreal on Friday and returning on Tuesday (with, clearly, a Saturday in between), instead of departing Toronto on Tuesday and returning on Friday. Does that make sense?
 ashpine17
|
I'm sure this was done on purpose but I'm pretty confused. So when he leaves on Tuesday and comes back onFriday, isn't that in the same week? But when he leaves on the first Tuesday of the semester nd comes back on the last friday does that mean there are months in between? I don't get where Saturday comes in. I got this correct when timed but got it wrong on blind review.
 ashpine17
|
I'm confused now. Could someone break down the last sentence. If she leaves the first Tuesday and returns on the last Friday what is the point of scheduling round trips every week in between?
 ashpine17
|
My main source of confusion is the post stating that the in between trips are from Friday to Tuesday...where did that come from?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ash,

This is a confusing one for sure! It helped me a bit to map it out in my head.

The first ticket goes from the first Tuesday to the last Friday. As you note, that will be months apart.

The next date she would need to fly would be the first Friday to the second Tuesday, then the second Friday to the third Tuesday and so on.

That means that every single round trip is over a weekend. Answer choice (A) is the only answer choice that explains why the structure of the trips matters. It explains both parts of the paradox.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.