LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (C)

The stimulus explains that Braille is a system of raised dots that can be read by touch, and that a new computer screen will replicate the Braille using heated dots. The stimulus concludes that anyone who is accustomed to reading Braille can easily adapt to use the computer screen.

The stimulus assumes without good reason that heated dots will work just as well as raised dots. Since you are asked to identify a necessary assumption, you should focus on linking raised dots to heated dots.

Answer choice (A): The stimulus does not concern whether systems other than Braille might work with the screen, so no assumptions about other systems are required. This choice is wrong.

Answer choice (B): This choice seeks to rule out the possibility that people who currently do not use Braille will be able to use the screens. Since the stimulus does not concern anyone except current Braille users and is not written to rule out other users, it does not matter whether other people will be able to use the system, so this choice is irrelevant and incorrect.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. The argument assumes that what people can sense by raised-dot patterns they can also sense by heated patterns.

Answer choice (D): Since the discussion in the stimulus simply concerns the viability of the new system of rendering Braille, it really does not matter whether there are other systems available. The point of the stimulus was not that the new system is best; it was only that the new system will work.

Answer choice (E): If it is eventually possible to train people to use Braille by training them on the thermal screen, then it is very likely that the system can currently be a good substitute for raised dots. However, the stimulus concerned people who already use Braille, not those who are to be trained in the future. Furthermore, since even if the thermal screen is not a good training device, it could be an acceptable substitute for people who already use Braille, this choice does not represent a necessary assumption.
 Boomer
|
Can you explain why answer C is correct and not B? I used the negation technique on answer C, and it seemed like it hurt the argument by saying that if people had the ability to discriminate symbols in braille, then it will be difficult for people to adapt to the new technology. I chose B for this question.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Boomer,

Thanks for the questions. This is a great opportunity to get clear on the way the Assumption Negation Technique works, because next time you can avoid this trap :-D So, in this case, you got the question right but didn't realize it! With Assumption Negation, the correct answer, when negated, attacks the argument and is thus correct. You negated (C), and saw that it weakened the argument:
Boomer wrote:I used the negation technique on answer C, and it seemed like it hurt the argument by saying that if people had the ability to discriminate symbols in braille, then it will be difficult for people to adapt to the new technology.
At that point you should have chosen (C), but it looks like you got mixed up and then avoided it by mistake. That caused you to select a weaker answer, in this case (B). As noted above with (B), it does not matter whether other people will be able to use the system, so the choice is irrelevant.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Boomer
|
Dave Killoran wrote:Hi Boomer,

Thanks for the questions. This is a great opportunity to get clear on the way the Assumption Negation Technique works, because next time you can avoid this trap :-D So, in this case, you got the question right but didn't realize it! With Assumption Negation, the correct answer, when negated, attacks the argument and is thus correct. You negated (C), and saw that it weakened the argument:
Boomer wrote:I used the negation technique on answer C, and it seemed like it hurt the argument by saying that if people had the ability to discriminate symbols in braille, then it will be difficult for people to adapt to the new technology.
At that point you should have chosen (C), but it looks like you got mixed up and then avoided it by mistake. That caused you to select a weaker answer, in this case (B). As noted above with (B), it does not matter whether other people will be able to use the system, so the choice is irrelevant.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
Thank you! Yes that was! Learning how to catch my mistakes and not do them again lol.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.