LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lsatnoobie
|
As you helpfully pointed out, the conclusion is “it is clear that nothing will justify a means except an end’s value.”

Is C correct because the “end’s value” in the conclusion refers to sentence 1 (“the end of an action is the intended outcome... end value.”

So essentially end’s value = end of an action = intended outcome?

Am I thinking of this the right away?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSATnoobie,

Absolutely! Just as statutes tend to define terms more narrowly and precisely than everyday language, here too we are given a specific definition for the purposes of the argument in the stimulus. This comes into play in the answer choices, as the difference between (C) (the correct choice) and (E) (which uses actual, not intended, outcome as the definition of "end").

Good job!
 lathlee
|
Hi. I think I get it: however, what I am bit surprised is that there are many parts in the question stems that conditional relationship indicators and conditional relationships are used which Powerscore always does so well to explain conditional relationships' function using a diagram to a student in easiest possible, is not really utilized. I will be greatly appreciated if you guys can do that.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There was really just one conditional relationship in this stimulus, and it is at the end in the conclusion introduced by "it is clear that". It is not much use to diagram the conditional relationship(s) here, though, because the question stem doesn't require it. All you are asked to do here is identify the conclusion! Focus on what the stem is asking you to do, and do not waste effort on tasks that don't help you to accomplish that goal. If the question stem asked us what must be true, then it would be worth diagramming that one conditional claim (which we did earlier in this thread) so you could then identify the contrapositive. If they asked what the flaw was, it might be worth diagramming to see if there was a Mistaken Reversal or Negation.

You are spending too much effort pursuing tasks that are not helping you to improve, lathlee. Stay focused on the task at hand. Everything else is just an intellectual exercise that distracts you from the sort of studying that might produce some results.
 ericj_williams
|
David Boyle wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 pm
GLMDYP wrote:Hi Powerscore!
I chose (E), but the answer is (C). I'm wondering why is this.
Thanks!
Hello,

Where does the stimulus mention the "actual outcomes" mentioned in E? --Anyway, C is sort of a restatement of, or maybe linkage of, "The end of an action is the intended outcome of the action . . . the end’s value is thus the only reason for the action", plus "nothing will justify a means except an end’s value".

David
How do we go from action to means though? I'm seeing at the end: Justify means -> end's value.

C talks about justifying action. Where in the stimulus does it allow us to go from means to actions?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's what the "means" are, ericj_williams - the actions taken in order to accomplish something. The phrase "the end justifies the means" means that your final result justifies whatever actions were taken to achieve that result. If it helps, think about "means" as being synonymous with "methods."
 jmulder615
|
In the very first sentence, I got tripped up on this question because I assumed ends referred to an actual result and that the author was saying that all actual results are the product of intentions, which I found to be a preposterous claim. I see now that they were defining ends for the rest of the question. LSAC got me :(
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Don't feel bad, jmulder! The test is written to catch folks. When I see a stimulus like this one, I slow down and make sure I note the conclusion, and understand how the argument gets there. In this one, as soon as I read the first sentence, I slowed it down. Means to an end is an abstract concept, and I know it's easy to get twisted. Taking the time to read through slowly and carefully ends up being faster for me overall because I don't need to reread and I know what I expect in the answer choices.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.