LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Main Point. The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 gwlsathelp
|
I am not sure why B is the correct answer. I ruled that answer out early as I thought it was an over-exaggeration of the Vet's response to the horse breeders. I don't think that this is a case of clever rephrasing of the stimulus as no one mentions an absolute ban nor do they mention anything like that, only that people should not bred the horses. Looking at all of the answers, they all look wrong. What are your thoughts?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Let's look at the language of the stimulus here, gwlsathelp. Where did you see the conclusion? The vet's conclusion is that the horse breeders are wrong. Hmm, on it's own, that's not helpful. What exactly does the vet conclude is wrong? The vet states that it's wrong that the horses with this defect should not be bred.

The "should not" language is pretty strong here. The vet disagrees, meaning that they believe that there are reasons to still breed these horses. That's where we get the conclusion here. It's saying there SHOULDN'T be an absolute ban. While "absolute ban" sounds like strong language, saying that there shouldn't be an absolute ban isn't all that strong. If we think about absolute ban meaning that you 100% cannot ever breed these horses, not an absolute ban would be everything up to 100% not breeding the horses. Everything from "breed these horses all the time" to "usually avoid breeding but ok in limited situations. There's a wide range of behavior that is "not an absolute ban."

Answer choice (B) then is consistent with the conclusion given by the vet. There are reasons to breed these horses. There shouldn't be an absolute ban.

Try not to get too hung up in finding the exact words used in the stimulus. Just because it doesn't say "absolute ban" doesn't mean that you need those words in the stimulus. You need that concept reflected in the conclusion.

Hope that helps!
 gwlsathelp
|
Rachel, thank you for taking the time to answer my question! That helped clear up my confusion and is a great explanation.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.