LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jerrymakehabit
|
Can someone please explain D to me?

Choice D confused me because I took "Prospects have never been better for college graduates" as fewer available jobs.

Thanks
Jerry
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jerry!

Boy, this was one time that I sure wish life imitated art! Well, if you consider LSAT written material as art :ras:

They opened the stimulus by saying that "that job prospects for college graduates have never been better," which certainly implies a positive. Unlike today's world, where college educated individuals are having a really tough time finding jobs, in this stimulus the shortage of graduating students is leaving fewer people to compete for the same amount of available jobs as had been available before this 25% drop in graduating students.

If you are searching for a job, wouldn't you want to have fewer competition and lots of jobs to choose from? That's the fantasy land that the recent graduates in this stimulus are living in.

We know that the job positions have not dwindled to match the lowered number of graduating students. Subjects like mathematics and engineering are seeing fewer students pursue those paths though those subjects are in high demand, meaning there are jobs that need to be filled but people aren't there to fill them.

This is precisely what points to the correct response in B, and points away from the incorrect response in D. Answer choice D gets it half-right, but is incorrect with the mention of 'fewer available jobs' which is inconsistent with the information in the stimulus.

Hope that helps!
 Jerrymakehabit
|
Jay Donnell wrote:Hi Jerry!

Boy, this was one time that I sure wish life imitated art! Well, if you consider LSAT written material as art :ras:

They opened the stimulus by saying that "that job prospects for college graduates have never been better," which certainly implies a positive. Unlike today's world, where college educated individuals are having a really tough time finding jobs, in this stimulus the shortage of graduating students is leaving fewer people to compete for the same amount of available jobs as had been available before this 25% drop in graduating students.

If you are searching for a job, wouldn't you want to have fewer competition and lots of jobs to choose from? That's the fantasy land that the recent graduates in this stimulus are living in.

We know that the job positions have not dwindled to match the lowered number of graduating students. Subjects like mathematics and engineering are seeing fewer students pursue those paths though those subjects are in high demand, meaning there are jobs that need to be filled but people aren't there to fill them.

This is precisely what points to the correct response in B, and points away from the incorrect response in D. Answer choice D gets it half-right, but is incorrect with the mention of 'fewer available jobs' which is inconsistent with the information in the stimulus.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Jay! What can I say... I will be more "positive" ;)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.