LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

So I do not understand why E is the correct answer for this one. Again, I seem to have problems with MBT questions. So the stimulus says that "Many of the characterizations of my work offered by Dr. Q are imprecise ,

But then E says At least one of Dr. Qs characterizations of Dr. Z's work fails to provide an adequate basis for sound criticism.?
How do we know that there's at least one? Why wouldn't A be also correct. This question is really confusing me.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

Think of it like this:
Many of the characterizations are imprecise
The characterizations that are imprecise not provide an adequate basis for criticism

We can therefore assume that at last some of the characterizations do not provide an adequate basis.
A is incorrect because, although we know that some of the characterizations do not provide a sound basis, we have no information at all about whether there are any that do.
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello Emily

Okay, I get why A does not work, but E says at least one? How can we infer this from the stimulus? It says many in the stimulus, wouldnt it be more plausible to infer that some of his works are inadequate?

Thankyou for your explanations
Sarah
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sarah,

"Some" is the logical opposite of "none". "At least one" means "one or more"; that means "at least one" is the logical opposite of "none". Thus, "some" and "at least one" are synonymous. If you can properly infer "some characterizations", you can also infer "at least one characterization".

Robert Carroll
 ericj_williams
|
srcline@noctrl.edu wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:48 pm Hello

So I do not understand why E is the correct answer for this one. Again, I seem to have problems with MBT questions. So the stimulus says that "Many of the characterizations of my work offered by Dr. Q are imprecise ,

But then E says At least one of Dr. Qs characterizations of Dr. Z's work fails to provide an adequate basis for sound criticism.?
How do we know that there's at least one? Why wouldn't A be also correct. This question is really confusing me.

Thankyou
Sarah
Remember that All implies Most implies Some, and some it at least one.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.