LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Kelly R
|
Hi PS,

I found this stimulus a bit difficult to untangle and am curious to know if my interpretation of it is fair and accurate. Thanks!

M seems to suggest that the Greek alphabet was invented by someone who knew the Phoenician writing system and who wanted to write down Homeric epics to preserve the tradition of oral poetry.

P retorts that this would have been a pointless endeavor (on the part of the inventor) since anyone who knows the epics well enough to write them down would, in fact, not need to write them down, as they already know them. P further asserts that writing down the epics would not enable others to read the poems which, written in a foreign language, would be inaccessible to the general public.

Answer E seems to correctly suggest that P might have overlooked a crucial reason that the Greek alphabet was invented and the epics subsequently written down. Maybe the epics were written down not because the inventor didn't know the epics, nor so that others could read the epics, but instead so that the inventor could teach others the alphabet (ostensibly through the Homeric epics). Does this track?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think your breakdown of the stimulus is excellent, Kelly R, but I think you may be adding a little help to answer E that it doesn't need. It's not about the inventor of the Greek alphabet wanting to use the Homeric epics as a tool to teach the new Greek alphabet. Answer E challenges P's premise that the endeavor would be pointless since nobody else would be able to read the new writing. Answer E is saying "maybe the inventor intended to reach others the new system, and then writing down the epics in the new system would not be pointless? Others could LEARN to read it, even if they don't know how to do so at first." So the inventor could have invented the system, used it to write down a whole lot of stuff, and then started teaching others the system so that they could read what he wrote and also, perhaps, write down more stuff.

P's argument is pretty silly, right? By that logic, there would never have been any reason to invent any kind of writing, ever, because only the inventor would know how to use it. Of course the inventor of a writing system will want to teach it to others and see it spread! Pointing out that silly mistake on P's part is what this Flaw question is all about.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.