LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

I had a question for this question, I picked D, I know that the answer is C. It appeared to be right because it is true that Smith will be respoinsible for all structural defects, that Jones is not responsible, is it because within a year?

Please let me know why this answer is wrong and c is right.

Thanks

Ellen
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

Answer choice D is incorrect because we simply do not know what obligations Smith will have. For example, Smith might enter into a contract with someone else besides Jones concerning structural defects in the house. The problem with answer choice D is that it could be true, but it does not have to be true based on the information in the stimulus, and this is a must be true question.

The stimulus does not tell us about Smith's obligations but rather primarily about those of Jones. Answer choice C must be true based on the stimulus because the contract only obliges Jones to repair supporting components, and non-exterior walls are not supporting components of the house.
 elinakarapetyan
|
The correct answer (c) is throwing me off because the stimulus says, "defects in the roof or roof supporting components......the house has a truss roof which means that the only walls that support the roof are the exterior walls."

So I am having a hard time understanding why C is correct, wouldn't the exterior walls be considered roof-supporting components? Thank you.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Elina,

I think that this may be a simple case of misreading a word in the answer choice, something that is easy to do and happens from time to time.

Answer C states that "the contract does not oblige Jones to repair any defects in the house's NONEXTERIOR (meaning interior) walls after ownership of the house has been transferred."

Since the nonexterior (aka interior) walls do not support the roof, Jones is not responsible for their repairs.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.