LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

GLMDYP
|
Hi Powerscore!
The stimulus contains such "none of them has her unique set of qualification". But how can we choose (C), which states that "on the basis of something that applies to all"?
Thanks!
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question. The issue here is that we are told in the first sentence that each candidate is unique, since each brings different talents and experience. So then to say Jones is most qualified because she is unique is a foolish conclusion: we're singling her out for being unique, when "uniqueness" is something that actually applies to everyone.

Make sense?
 LSAT2018
|
If I were to classify the Flaw in the Reasoning, would it be 'Internal Contradiction'? OR would this be an improper comparison because it would be unacceptable to compare uniqueness with another set of uniqueness?

Thanks in advance!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LSAT2018 wrote:If I were to classify the Flaw in the Reasoning, would it be 'Internal Contradiction'? OR would this be an improper comparison because it would be unacceptable to compare uniqueness with another set of uniqueness?

Thanks in advance!
Hi LSAT,

Good question! Remember that a lot of flaws can be described in similar ways, and this particular one is within that large grouping of errors where evidence is being used improperly. Internal contradictions fall into that broad category (because if you contradict yourself you used the evidence poorly) and there's certainly an argument here that this could be seen through that lens. I prefer to think of this as a more general error, though, because to me an internal contradiction has a structure where one statement actively contradicts another; that's not what happens here, and instead evidence is just used in a poor manner.

Thanks!
 LeslyLSATinLA
|
I picked E because I was attracted to the way it was worded. But upon reviewing the answer, I understand now why it's C.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LeslyLSATinLA,

Agreed, it's tricky! But we're glad it makes sense now.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.