LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

I had a question for this question. I picked B and I am not quite sure what is wrong with it, and why D is the right answer.

thanks

Ellen
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

Can you provide us with a bit more insight into why you believed answer choice (B) to be the correct answer choice? How did you break down the argument? What made (B) more attractive than (D)?

Thanks!
 ellenb
|
Sure,

To answer your first question:

Can you provide us with a bit more insight into why you believed answer choice (B) to be the correct answer choice? I thought B was the correct answer because Copernicus's theory was correct and Ptolomey's was incorrect and the Copernicus's theory was superior and true (since it has the word correctly in the stimulus). I thought that B is the correct one since a theory that is likely to be true and another theory that is likely to be false, then the one that is likely to be true (Coperincus's theory in this case) is likely to be superior.

That is how I broke down the argument, and that is why I thought that is what made B more attractive than D.

Thanks,

Ellen
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm afraid you misunderstood the basic premise of the argument. It is not as if either theory was more likely to be true than the other at that time. The author clearly points out that all observational evidence was equally consistent with both theories: i.e., neither theory contradicted what people could observe at the time (i.e. movement of stars).

The point is, even though all evidence was consistent with both competing theories, the author still argues that Copernicus's system was superior at the time it was proposed. Why? Because Copernicus had the simpler theory. The author made an implicit connection between simplicity and superiority, and answer choice (D) explicates that connection: all other things being equal, the more complex theory is the inferior one (and vice versa - the simpler theory is the superior one).

Hope this helps!
 ellenb
|
Makes more sense, so all things being equal, it is only a difference between something being simple and that is superior one and on the other hand if it is complex it is inferior.

thanks

Ellen
 a19
|
Hey!

So, I am at a bit of a loss for this question. Could someone break it down for me? I eliminated A and B, but C, D, and E all seem like great contenders. Even more difficult for me was establishing a difference between D and E. Thanks!

Best,
A19
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi a19,

It's very important with these principle questions to stick closely to the given facts in the stimulus. The author tells us two basic things (although these basic things are "dressed up" a bit in the stimulus):

1. Copernicus's system is superior to Ptolemy's and was superior at the time it was proposed.

2. Copernicus's theory was simpler than Ptolemy's theory.

The author thus believes there is some connection between simplicity and superiority (that simplicity of a theory is what determines it is superior).

Answer choice C is incorrect, because it introduces the idea of how "practical" a theory is to adopt. But our author didn't mention practicality (e.g. the author didn't say that Copernicus's theory was "more practical" than Ptolemy's theory), so we can't really determine whether the author's argument "conforms" to the principle in answer choice C.

Similarly, the author didn't discuss how "scientifically important" the two theories were (never said, for example, that Copernicus's theory was more "scientifically important" than Ptolemy's theory). Thus, we can't determine whether the author's argument "conforms" to the principle in answer choice E.

The only comparison (in addition to simplicity) our author made was in stating Copernicus's theory was and is "superior" to Ptolemy's. Answer choice D comes closest to that language, although it goes to the negative side in discussing a more complex theory (Ptolemy's) being inferior (which is the other side of the spectrum from "superior"). Since this answer choice sticks closest to our author's terminology, it is the principle the argument most "conforms" to.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
 lenihil
|
Dear PowerScore,

Could you please explain why (A) is a wrong answer?

I understand why (D) makes the right answer. But I think (A) works, too.

If simplicity is the sole deciding facotr in choosing among competing scientific theories, Copernicus's theory is the simpler one and thus the author chooses it, then what is wrong with that? According to the principle, we can just leave other things behind (forget about the "other things being equal") and directly choose Copernicus's theory.

Thank you for your help.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi leni,

The problem with answer choice A is that the scenario laid out in the stimulus is not one in which any explicit recommendation is made about what theory a person "should" decide on. Rather, the author is simply making a judgment that Copernicus's theory is superior. The consequence of that judgment (what one "should" do, or what one should decide on when making a choice) is left unclear. So the reason answer choice A does not conform is simply that it makes a recommendation ("should") for a situation ("deciding among competing theories") that the stimulus doesn't directly discuss.

As a little side note, this is a common distinction tested on principle questions: (1) recommendation: what one "should" or "ought" to do; versus (2) judgment: what "is" the quality of (or evaluation being made of) a particular thing.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy
 lenihil
|
Dear Jeremy,

With your help, now I totally understand the difference between a recommendation and a judgment! That really helps a lot.

So, if (A) says "Simplicity is the sole deciding factor in deciding which one of two competing theories is superior" then it could be the correct answer.

Thank you very much.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.