LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

I just want to make sure I understand why answer choice B is the right one.
(Since it is a weaken except I know that the right answer should be, not weaken, which can be a strengthening answer or one that will not do anything to the stimulus).

Please let me know why answer B was picked.

Thanks

Ellen
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Ellen,

As you point out, since (B) is the correct answer choice to a Weaken EXCEPT question, it logically follows that (B) does not weaken the argument - that's why it's correct. Did you think that (B) somehow weakens the argument? If so, can you clarify how?

Thanks!
 ellenb
|
You got it Nikki, even though I got it right, somehow I thought it was weakening it because it said that in the future we will share the same culture and the same values. So, I thought it is sort of weakening it since it says that there are no values shared across cultures and the answer says that we will someday share the same culture and values.

Thanks

Ellen
 ericj_williams
|
ellenb wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 pm You got it Nikki, even though I got it right, somehow I thought it was weakening it because it said that in the future we will share the same culture and the same values. So, I thought it is sort of weakening it since it says that there are no values shared across cultures and the answer says that we will someday share the same culture and values.

Thanks

Ellen
I think the issue with B is that the argument talks about as long as there ARE distinct cultures.

B talks about there not being distinct cultures. So in my opinion it is out of scope, it talks about someday there not being distinct cultures, but the argument's conclusion depends on a world where there ARE distinct cultures.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Correct, ericj_williams! Answer B is about a world that is different from the one we are currently dealing with, and the author really only drew a conclusion about the world as it exists now. Even if B is true, and we will someday all share one culture, it does nothing to impact a claim about a world in which we have distinct cultures. It is, as you say, out of scope!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.