LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Sophia123
|
Hi!

I got this question correct, but I remember debating between answer choices C and D. The only thing that separated answer choice C and D in my head was that D's conclusion was that Arno will accept one of the two versus in answer choice C Rose will not accept one of the two. Is this the only difference between the two choices or is there something else that I am missing on this one?

Thank you in advance!

-Sophia
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sophia,

It looks like you slightly misinterpreted the statements here.

The stimulus ends up concluding that Yusef serves Mocha Java IF Yusef buys only Carl's Coffee.

Answer choice (D) correctly parallels this by concluding that Arno will take the Research position IF Arno takes a job at Wendix.

Just as the stimulus does not determine that Yusef clearly serves only Carl's Coffee, choice (D) does not determine that Arno will take a Wendix job. The information that Yusef doesn't serve Carl's French Roast was in the premises, just as the information that Arno will not take a Wendix Sales job

Answer choice (C) fails to include conditional language in the conclusion. Instead, it states that Rose will certainly take neither a 2 week July vacation nor a 3 week October Vacation.
 ashpine17
|
Why doesn't C match with the stimulus? Does the planned trail take out both options for a vacation in July and October since the trail will be closed in October and it would take three weeks?
 bbjigglercakes
|
Hi,

Why is E the wrong answer? She has two options to fire and not fire
explains what would happen if she chooses one and not the other
and the result if she makes a decision based on her choice......

to me this made alot of sense moreover, i saw the conitional reasoning in the stimulus and matched it to the answer choice... it seems as though E) was not a common wrong answer....
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ashpine: See the explanation Francis gave earlier in this thread for the problem with answer C. It doesn't match the stimulus because instead of concluding that one of the two options is the only choice available, it concludes that some unknown alternative would be the only option. Both of the original options are eliminated.

bbjigglercakes: The problem with answer E is that both options lead to the same outcome, which is a decline in productivity. The conclusion is, like in answer C, that some alternative must be found, rather than concluding that because one option is not available the other option must be the correct one if those are the only options.

The stimulus is about there being only two options if a certain condition is met (getting the coffee from Carl's), and one of them cannot occur in this case. Thus, if that condition occurs (the coffee came from Carl's) it must be the other option.

Answer D has the same structure: if a certain condition is met (accepting a job at Wendix), there are only two options (sales or research), and one of those options cannot occur (Arno won't take a sales job there). Thus, if the condition is met (he takes a job at Wendix), then it must be the other one (the research job).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.