LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Juan315
|
Hi Powerscore,

I ended up choosing A because I thought that was the appeal the author was going for and I didn't see any immediate problems with the word "Afford". Now that I know B is correct, is the ambiguous use of the word afford in its use for monetary considerations by the mayor, and opportunity cost by the author? What makes A totally wrong?

Thanks!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Juan315! You're definitely right on about the use of "afford" by the mayor. I just Google'd "afford definition", and there's two quick separate definitions that pop up. The first one is "have enough money to pay for". That's pretty clearly what the mayor is talking about. A related but different definition is "to be able to do something without risk of adverse consequences". That seems to be more of what our Concerned Citizen is referring to. So the Citizen is sort of switching definitions of "afford" in the middle of her argument.

In my experience, you can kind of "feel" this sort of Flaw. Something just sort of feels off about how a word is being used in the stimulus. I find myself saying, "Hey, you're being kind of fast and loose with what that word means". This particular Flaw isn't the most common, but when it does show up that's what helps me to identify it.

(A) is incorrect because it would be a mistake to say that the Citizen's argument "solely" relies on emotion. Here's a helpful PowerScore blog post about what a purely emotional argument looks like:

https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid-29 ... o-emotion/

Here, the Citizen brings up a new point about the hall being the last relic of the city's founding, and states that preserving history is important for maintaining respect of government. While there are some emotional undertones there, it would be a mistake to say that that's solely an emotional argument.

As a general note - just as with Must be True questions, be careful about very strongly worded answer choices for Flaw questions. Our answer choice needs to accurately describe what (erroneously) happened in the stimulus, so an answer choice with strong language needs a stimulus that was just as strongly mistaken. Not every Flaw answer choice with strong language is wrong, but it's something to be wary of.

Hope that helps!
 Juan315
|
Hey Paul this was great! I understand appeal to emotion better. The part on the strength of the answer choice was something I overlooked as well.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.