LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Weaken. The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 gabcarras1
|
Hello!

Can you tell me why C is correct? I eliminated it because I thought that it strengthened the argument rather than undermined it.

Thanks in advance! :)
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
gabcarras1,

I think you're right, answer choice (C) does strengthen the argument. But the correct answer for this one is answer choice (B), so possibly you're looking at a misprinted answer key? As we indicate in the first post, the correct answer is (B).

Robert Carroll
 gabcarras1
|
I apologize. I meant to inquire why B is correct. When I read that answer choice, it sounded like it strengthened the argument rather than weakened it. I thought that the last sentence is the conclusion, is that right? Can you break it down for me? Thank you!!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
gabcarras1,

The conclusion is in the last sentence, but can't be all of it, because part of the last sentence uses the "because" premise indicator. So the conclusion is "We should print currency with the special ink instead of microprinting". The author is trying to show that one way of printing currency will be better able to deter counterfeiters than another. Answer choice (B) shows that counterfeiters can counterfeit currency made with the special ink, but not microprinted currency. If that's true, which would you choose if you were trying to make counterfeiting more difficult? Surely microprinted currency. But that's the opposite of what the author's conclusion wanted, so this answer weakens the argument.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.