LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Main Point. The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 cutiepie
|
In the stimulus I identified the conclusion to be "These findings will promote compassion and tolerance when looking at a mental illness, quirk, or mere difference between two persons." However, none of the answer choices seemed similar to that part of the stimulus. I dont understand how the answer choice is A. Where in the conclusion does it talk about fostering empathy? I selected E as my answer.
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Cutiepie,

So, you definitely highlighted the right conclusion; however, the key to getting this answer correct was to recognize the fact that "fostering empathy" is really the same as promoting compassion and tolerance. Empathy is defined as the ability to understand and share feelings with another, while compassion is defined as sympathetic pity or concern for the suffering of others, so I think the similarities are fairly clear. And hopefully, if you see that A is correct, then you can exclude E as not being correct, but to the extent you are curious, answer choice A is definitely the more accurate answer than E because the idea of "enhancing" our theories of mental illness, whatever that inherently ambiguous term means, probably more toward some type of understanding with respect to the illnesses themselves, and not with respect to those afflicted with the mental illnesses, the object, of course, of the compassion and tolerance mentioned in the conclusion of the argument.

Let me know if you have further questions.
 Myfamily1999
|
Hello, for my main conclusion I chose: “ these findings will promote compassion and tolerance when looking at a mental illness, quirk, or mirror difference between two persons“. So, I chose D as my answer but seeing that I was wrong and the answer is A. Could you explain why D is wrong?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
D is incorrect, Myfamily1999, because it captures the premise of the argument that was given to us after the conclusion in the stimulus, rather than restating the conclusion itself. The question asked for the conclusion, so we need an answer that restates that conclusion and not one that gives us the evidence the author used to support that conclusion. Notice how answer D doesn't deal with promoting compassion and tolerance? You had the right conclusion, so all you need to do is find the match for that conclusion in the answer choices!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.