LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore,

Weird question here.

I read answer choice (C) as meaning "nonrepresentative" in the sense that the example of NAFTA is nonrepresentative of Smith's hypothesis. But they meant "nonrepresentative" as in biased sample flaw, right? I understand that they appealed to Smith, which is (D), but want to make sure that I understand (C).

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Deck,

This is interesting because I think you can interpret "nonrepresentative" in multiple ways, and they are all wrong (which is how I like my wrong answers to be presented) :-D

To me, the nonrepresentative instance is the restricted workers (because of the use of the word "citing"), but of course I feel like that is representative, so it killed this answer for me. But, if you read it from your perspective, the conclusion is the same. I don't think that's what they are referring to, but since it's a wrong answer, we can't actually know for sure. Maybe they were looking for people who were caught up in the "It's called a Free Trade Agreement but actually isn't one" argument, and who then concluded that NAFTA itself isn't representative of free trade. I'm not sure that fits the "citing" usage, but it would certainly appeal to students not focused on the specific use of the word "citing" who were more focused on the inconsistency of terms.

Does that make sense? Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.