LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Eric,

A small (hopefully not too intrusive!) request for future posts: it would be super helpful (to me and other instructors, I'm sure) if you could wait until you've formulated all your questions about an issue and combined them into one post. Just makes it easier to follow your entire train of thought and to respond appropriately. :-D

On your first comment, I agree that Monica has not explicitly committed herself to disagreement with the principle expressed in answer choice C. Answer choice C is a conditional statement that can be diagrammed as: Remove a work of art commissioned for a public space :arrow: Balance of public opinion is against the work. The contrapositive is: Balance of public opinion is NOT against the work :arrow: NOT Remove it. We don't know what Monica thinks the necessary condition would be for removal of a work of art, because she has concluded this work should not be removed. We also don't know (looking at the contrapositive) whether Monica would agree that when the balance of public opinion is NOT against a work of art that it should NOT be removed. That's because the balance of public opinion here IS against this work.

Regarding your next two posts, I first want to congratulate you: you picked the correct answer, so nice work! That means you were able to eliminate the other four answer choices comfortably, which is often the best way to narrow yourself to the best available answer. Notice the movement of Monica's argument: she moves directly from the idea that the public's opinion of this work tells us nothing about its artistic merit to the conclusion that the artwork should not be removed. That means Monica's central consideration guiding her conclusion is what we can determine about the artistic merit of the work in question. She apparently thinks that what would dictate removing an artwork would primarily be the question of whether it has artistic merit. And since we can't (or haven't) determined the artistic merit of the work in this case, we have no basis for saying whether it should be removed (and we should therefore leave it be). So Monica does agree with answer choice E. And as you correctly observed, Hector disagrees with answer choice E. So this is the answer that satisfies the Agree/Disagree Test. Nice work again!

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.