LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Oscarg104
|
Hi, I would like a thorough explanation regarding this question, as I do not understand why I got this one wrong. My selected answer was B.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Oscar,

This is a weaken question, so we're looking for the answer choice that will make the conclusion less likely to be true. The conclusion here is that the school's journalism program isn't worthless, with the sole premise being that it places 2/3s of its graduates in internships or jobs in journalism. The immediate prephrase I see is "the jobs are entry-level/don't actually lead to careers."

Answer choice (A) immediately comes at a similar idea, if opposite direction, to my prephrase: if the majority of students already have careers in journalism, getting a job after graduating from the school isn't a particular accomplishment. Immediate contender.

Answer choice (B) has such a broad, undefined scope ("some," "necessary") that it neither helps nor hurts the argument. Loser.

Answer choice (C) is clearly irrelevant. Loser.

Answer choice (D) would, if anything, strengthen the argument. Loser.

Answer choice (E) is also irrelevant, as we don't care how selective the school is at choosing students. Loser.

So only (A) can work, and is the correct answer.

Hope this clears things up!
 ericj_williams
|
James Finch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:23 pm Hi Oscar,

This is a weaken question, so we're looking for the answer choice that will make the conclusion less likely to be true. The conclusion here is that the school's journalism program isn't worthless, with the sole premise being that it places 2/3s of its graduates in internships or jobs in journalism. The immediate prephrase I see is "the jobs are entry-level/don't actually lead to careers."

Answer choice (A) immediately comes at a similar idea, if opposite direction, to my prephrase: if the majority of students already have careers in journalism, getting a job after graduating from the school isn't a particular accomplishment. Immediate contender.

Answer choice (B) has such a broad, undefined scope ("some," "necessary") that it neither helps nor hurts the argument. Loser.

Answer choice (C) is clearly irrelevant. Loser.

Answer choice (D) would, if anything, strengthen the argument. Loser.

Answer choice (E) is also irrelevant, as we don't care how selective the school is at choosing students. Loser.

So only (A) can work, and is the correct answer.

Hope this clears things up!
I don't think it's so much that's not an accomplishment (not of value), but establishing an alternate cause.

You are getting jobs because not because of our program (the value), you're getting jobs because you had prior experience.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.