LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello ,

Can someone please explain this questions to me. I am not seeing how transferee is supported by the conclusion.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sarah,

I don't quite understand your question: "transferee" is not supported by the conclusion. The correct answer choice is (E) - "escapee." Why? Because "escapee" is just like "absentee" in that it does not refer to one party in a two-party transaction, and thus is not bound by the generalization advanced at the end of the argument. Your job is to select an answer choice that would be analogous to "absentee" in order to preserve the force and focus of the original argument.

The rest of the answer choices all refer to words designating the person affected in the specified way by an action performed by someone else: an "honoree" is honored by someone else; an "appointee" is appointed by someone else; a "nominee" is nominated by someone else; a "transferee" is transferred by someone else. Since they all satisfy the broader generalization advanced in the beginning of the stimulus, none of them would function as a putative counterexample or require altering the original generalization.

An escapee, by contrast, is not "escaped" by someone else: there is no two-party system here. An escapee is someone who escapes oneself, so to speak, just like an "absentee" is someone who absents oneself. Both words refer to the person who actually performs the action, and neither of them refers to one party in a two-party system. Thus, neither word will be bound by the narrower scope of the generalization advanced at the end of the stimulus.

Hope this helps a bit!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.