LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

JKing
|
Some of these I got right and I just need to make sure I am on the right path to getting them right. I hope this is not too much, if it is I can next time make these questions in different posts.

December Test 1998

LR Section 1

# 20- Answer is C. I almost picked D, but didn't. Can you explain the fault in D?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JKing,

That's a fairly subtle one--the author provides that a poem is any work of art that exploits some of the musical characteristics of language. At the end, the author provides that a limerick is not art.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know whether that's clear--thanks!

~Steve
 JKing
|
Ok good that is the reason why I did not pick D. It feels good to know my thought process is on the right track.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey JKing,

That's great--glad I could help.

~Steve
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello Steve

So I am not understanding this question at all. First this is a MBT question correct? Also how is this an example of conditional logic. Would you have to diagram this question? I choose D, but I think its might be too extreme b/c of the language and the fact that we dont know about non-artistic types of poetry. But I am not understanding how C is correct.

Thankyou
Sarah
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
srcline@noctrl.edu wrote:Hello Steve

So I am not understanding this question at all. First this is a MBT question correct? Also how is this an example of conditional logic. Would you have to diagram this question? I choose D, but I think its might be too extreme b/c of the language and the fact that we dont know about non-artistic types of poetry. But I am not understanding how C is correct.

Thankyou
Sarah

Hello Sarah,

Yes, it is an MBT question.
It is conditional because of the multiple if-then relationships. (So, diagramming may help you.) One of them is what a poem is; since they give the definition of a poem, you can effectively treat it as a biconditional:

Poem :dbl: (art + musical use of language)

So if a novel is art, and uses language musically, it's also a poem. QED, answer C is correct.

Hope this helps,
David
 lsat2016
|
Hello,

Just to be sure, is it not valid to make exceptions to the conditional rules? I doubted D for a moment because it seems to acknowledge that it’s a different type than a regular poem by being non-artistic.

Also, is this correct?

I was also hesitant to draw out a conditional relationship for a novel because the stimulus uses "may".
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi-

Good questions.

We cannot make exceptions to the conditionals given to us by the author, unless the author gives the exception as part of the condition. This plays into your hesitancy to make a conditional for a novel due to the author's use of the word "may." It takes some work, but the key to figuring out this problem is recognizing that it is a bi-conditional. A novel is a poem, if and only if, it is a work of art and exploits some of the musical characteristics of language.

(D) cannot be true because it violates the author's conditional relationship between art and poetry. The author states that a poem is art that exploits musical characteristics of language. A Limerick is not art, and therefore cannot be poetry.

I hope this helps.

-Shannon
 olafimihan.k
|
Hello,

Why would "non-artistic" poetry be considered wrong in answer choice D?

Thanks.
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi there!

The conditional rule in the first sentence looks something like:
Work of art + Exploits musical characteristics of language ------> Poem
In the final sentence, we are told that limericks may exploit some musical characteristics of language, but that they are not art. So, without meeting these two sufficient conditions, we have no rule that establishes limericks are poems at all.

The trick here is that, in the real world, many people would consider limericks to be poems. And, most people wouldn't consider them very artistic either. So answer choice (D) is very real world true. However, we cannot prove it's true from the information in the stimulus.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.