LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel, Principle. The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Jay
|
Hello Powerscore Thank you always for the help

Here I chose (E) because

I thought the stimulus is saying although George Orwell's 1984 resembles futuristic genre, Orwell probably didn't read those books of futuristic genre, but employed futuristic genre's devices. (the last sentence goes "simply drawing on the same body of literary conventions")

So, I thought Orwell was simply drawing on futuristic genre just to fit into futuristic genre. (E) sounded right.

Please help!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jay,

The issue in answer choice E is whether a certain type of novel "fits into" a certain genre, and what would be necessary for fitting into that genre (employing certain conventions). In the stimulus the issue is not whether Orwell's novels "fit into" the futuristic genre. The author of the stimulus simply assumes those novels do fit that genre, as well as assuming those novels used certain storytelling conventions. In other words, we can't tell whether the author would agree that, if you removed those storytelling conventions from Orwell's novels, the novels would still be part of the "futuristic" genre or not.

The issue in the stimulus is rather how Orwell came to use those storytelling conventions in his futuristic novels, in other words what caused Orwell to use those conventions. The author of the stimulus makes clear that she thinks those conventions did NOT come from Orwell reading other novels in the same futuristic genre. That is very similar to answer choice D, in which a movie's devices (car chases, etc.) do NOT come from other movies in the same action genre.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.