LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Weaken. The correct answer choice is (B)

Answer choice (A): This answer attempts to attack the first premise, but fails. Although it is fantastic
news that dolphins and chimps can rationally communicate, this fact has no impact on the argument
at hand. Even though they have this communication ability, human cognitive faculties can still be
superior.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer, and a somewhat risqué one at that. By showing that
many people enjoy the physical more than the cognitive, the answer shows that people can be made
happy by gratification of something other than cognitive faculties. Cognitive faculties, being mental
in nature, are of course distinct from physical pleasures.

Additionally, this answer has the benefit of addressing the phrase in the stimulus regarding
awareness of cognitive faculties: “once humans become aware of these...” In this answer, unlike
others, the individuals are known to be familiar with cognitive faculties. While we believe that
recognition of cognitive faculties is inherent in adults (or some of the named types in other answers,
such as serious athletes, who by definition would have to be teens or adults), this answer is stronger
because it explicitly addresses the issue.

Answer choice (C): A preference for a certain type of music is likely a cognition-driven preference,
and this preference is expressed by an adult who would certainly be aware of cognitive faculties.
And, since no suggestion is made that individuals can be made happy without gratification of the
cognitive faculties, this answer is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): This can be an attractive answer at first, but it depends on the assumption
that the serious athletes are happy due to their athletic endeavors. However, that connection is not
explicitly stated, and it could be that the serious athletes are happy because of some gratification of
their cognitive faculties, in their respective sport or otherwise.

Answer choice (E): This answer is similar to answer choice (D). A gourmet is a connoisseur of food
and drink, and a connoisseur is a person with deep or special knowledge of a subject. In this sense,
there would be a cognitive element to the enjoyment of gourmet food. As such, this answer may
serve to slightly strengthen the argument because it shows that an individual with experience with
the non-cognitive still retains a love of the cognitive.
 rogernotario
|
The question:
[question removed--LSAT questions cannot be posted due to LSAC copyrights. Just the PrepTest number, section, and question number is sufficient]

Correct answer: (B)

My concern:
I had chosen (D) as my answer, and see why my choice is incorrect. I do not, however, see how (B) does anything to weaken the argument in the stimulus, because neither the stimulus nor the answer choice provides any connection between "enjoyment" and "happiness." The simple fact that they "enjoy" physical pleasure more than intellectual stimulation does not mean that it makes them happier. Furthermore, if it did, such causality would have to be established.

Am I wrong in thinking this? As a philosophy major I have to support my arguments constantly, and if I had refuted such an argument in the above manner, I would have been shot down on the spot.

Please help!

Thanks,
Roger Notario
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Roger,

That's a great question. The author argues that once people are aware of their cognitive faculties, they cannot be made happy without gratifying them.

The correct answer choice weakens this argument by providing that many people who are aware of their cognitive faculties nonetheless enjoy physical pleasures more.

As for the definition of happiness, enjoyment and pleasure tend to support the feeling of being "happy." In response to your point, however, to whatever extent pleasure and enjoyment may fall short of guaranteeing true happiness, keep in mind that the test-makers only ask for the answer choice that most calls into question the author's argument; none of the others come close...

I hope this is helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 rogernotario
|
Hey Steve,

Thanks for your response, it is much appreciated.

Is there any way for me to avoid making this mistake in the future? I very much understand what you say, but don't see how it will help correct my thought process with regards to the LSAT. I still maintain that there is weak connection (if any) between the stimulus and the correct answer. What you say about "support the feeling of being 'happy'" is true, but it seems too great of a leap to justify it's being correct.

I don't mean to be annoying, and apologize if I am being such. I'm just very troubled by what appears to me to be an EXTREMELY unfair question on an exam that has such a huge impact on peoples' future. It almost feels like the test-makers are saying "This is the correct answer because we say so, and we don't care if there are any holes in our logic."

-Roger
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Roger,

Thanks for your question. One recommendation I would make would be to try to prephrase an answer before considering the answer choices.

Again, the author asserts that once people are aware of their cognitive faculties, they cannot be made happy without gratification of those faculties.

If I were looking to call the author's argument into question, one thing I might look for would be examples that would undermine the author's assertion. The correct answer choice provides exactly that: examples of many people who are indeed aware of their cognitive faculties but nonetheless still find more enjoyment in physical pleasure. This undermines the author's argument (it is not entirely unfair to equate enjoyment with happiness).

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 rogernotario
|
Thank again, Steve.

I get it now; I guess I over think it. It's probably just a force of habit to not make such basic assumptions. It trips me up.

P.S. The Bibles are great books, good sir lol

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.