LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 kupwarriors9
|
Hi! Why is A correct and E incorrect? Also I found a lot of the answers seemed super similar. Any tips on how to detect/eliminate the wrong answers in this case?

Thanks,
KW9
Administrator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi KW9,

I hear ya; let me address the general question first. I think that any time you have a question with either really similar answers or answers that appear to all "work" for a particular stimulus, what's really going there is that the question itself is less of a "Must be True," logical inferred question, and instead one that has a little more subjectivity to it, or "meta" analysis as in the case of Method of Reasoning question. To work through where you have two or more contenders, I would really use comparative approach, and rule out first those answer choices that make the more exaggerated claims that either rely on outside information or overstate beyond what is necessarily true or demonstrated within the question.

A good example of what I mean (convenient enough) can be found in this question. Let's first look at what exactly Ralph says in this stimulus: "what is need is not only the proximity of other people, but genuine interaction with them." Ralph is not outright denying Laura's claim, but rather pointing out that she's really missing the point. It's not just being around people, you know being that wall flower at the party, that stays like a magnet hooked to a back wall, but actually getting in there and conversing, being the quarterback for a change, rather than that auspicious locale on the bench between water coolers and stat keeper (this is not a personal story). Thus Answer choice is the correct answer, it might be necessary to cool to be at the party, but it certainly doesn't guarantee you're in the party, if you know what I mean.

Answer choice E may look tempting, because it could be true, right? Going to the party and having a bad time in seventh grade might have disastrous effects on your entire high school career. The problem is, we're dealing in catastrophic what if's here, when we should be dealing pocket aces (a certain winner). And answer choice A identifies the "heart" (intended) of the matter, whereas E simply doesn't.

Let me know if you have further questions.
 lsatquestions
|
I answered this correctly but I had D as a contender. Ralph recognizes that both proximity to other people and genuine interaction are necessary to combat loneliness. Genuine interaction is offered as another, although accompanying, solution the the problem. Is it incorrect because genuine interaction is only ONE solution and needs to accompany proximity to address loneliness?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.