LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

nusheenaparvizi
|
Hi,

I got this answer correct but only through process of elimination. I was actually between answer choice B and C and correctly chose D although I had no proper reasoning as to why I chose C. Why is B incorrect? The final sentence of the stimulus mentions "yet I hear that Dooney County is dotted with terraces..." and with B it mentions "yet people with no children can afford bigger houses" and so I thought that this reasoning was fairly similar because their previous premises seemed to be proven wrong despite the facts mentioned. I chose against this though because I thought it might be a trick on words that both B and the stimulus is using "yet" so I chose C.

Can someone explain to why C is correct and how to diagram the stimulus as well/if it is diagrammable? Thank you!
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nusheen!

Process of elimination is often the MOST helpful way to choose an LR answer. In fact, it can be really useful to switch your strategy from choosing the right answer to eliminating the wrong answers.

The stimulus' reasoning goes something like this: Some people conclude X. But when X is true, Y isn't necessary. Because Y is happening here, X must be wrong.

Answer choice (B) doesn't include any of this reasoning! It essentially states that there's a mismatch between space and money between people who do and don't have kids. Nothing about concluding that a certain statement is wrong because we don't see a related phenomenon.

Answer Choice (C) matches the stimulus perfect. Exercise makes medication unnecessary (just like flat land makes terraces unnecessary). Because Jack is taking meds (=farmers have terraces), he must not be getting exercise (=Dooley County must not be flat).
 ericj_williams
|
Christen Hammock wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm Hi Nusheen!

Process of elimination is often the MOST helpful way to choose an LR answer. In fact, it can be really useful to switch your strategy from choosing the right answer to eliminating the wrong answers.

The stimulus' reasoning goes something like this: Some people conclude X. But when X is true, Y isn't necessary. Because Y is happening here, X must be wrong.

Answer choice (B) doesn't include any of this reasoning! It essentially states that there's a mismatch between space and money between people who do and don't have kids. Nothing about concluding that a certain statement is wrong because we don't see a related phenomenon.

Answer Choice (C) matches the stimulus perfect. Exercise makes medication unnecessary (just like flat land makes terraces unnecessary). Because Jack is taking meds (=farmers have terraces), he must not be getting exercise (=Dooley County must not be flat).
I'd also add the breadth added in the conclusion.

Notice that the stim goes from terraces to prevent erosion, to just terraces.

C also goes from medication to help fall asleep to medication in general.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.