LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

GLMDYP
|
Hi Powerscore!
I'm confused at this formal logic game. "All too many" means "majority", right? But I still cannot link the logic sequence of (C). Can you help me?
Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
GLMDYP wrote:Hi Powerscore!
I'm confused at this formal logic game. "All too many" means "majority", right? But I still cannot link the logic sequence of (C). Can you help me?
Thanks!
Hello,

"All too many" is a vague term synonymous with "some". So, the stimulus really says, "Some weaklings are cowards, some cowards are fools, so at least one weakling [which counts as "some weaklings"] is a fool." Wrong! Just like in answer C. (C says, really, "Some painters are musicians, some musicians are dancers, so some painters are dancers.")

David
 eober
|
Hi,

I am confused about what "all to many" means. Is it correct to say:

all too many = many = some

Thanks!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi eober,

Yes, that's fair to say. Good work figuring it out!
 est15
|
Hi, can you explain how "few cowards fail to be fools" is equivalent to "some cowards are fools"? I'm having trouble getting there because I thought "few cowards fail to be fools" meant that "some cowards are not fools." Thanks.
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Est15,

Thanks for the question. If few people fail to do something, this is roughly equivalent to saying that most people do it. That is most cowards are fools. Certainly if most cowards are fools, then it's true that some cowards are fools. While the statements are not identical (and the correct answer choice is not a perfect match, just the best available), if the first phrase is true, so is the second.

The quantity does not match up perfectly, as noted, but answer choice C does follow the same flawed structure. That is many As are Bs, most Bs are Cs, so at least one A is a C.
Answer choice C is more like: some As are Bs, some Bs are Cs, so some As are Cs.

Given that no other answer choice matches the basic pattern in the stimulus, answer choice C is the best option you have.

Hope that helps!
Beth
 jonwg5121
|
Just following up on this question, what exactly is the flaw and what kind of term would you give it? Also, can you please explain why answer choice (E) is not correct?

My diagram for (E) is

Majority voting population-->favor total ban
Favor total ban-->not opposed to stiffer tariff
At least one person-->Not opposed to stiffer tariff

Thank you!
 Laura Carrier
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jonwg5121,

The flaw in this question is a numbers and percentages error, and it’s an important one to be alert to, since it appears relatively frequently in a number of variations. The argument tells us that an indeterminate percentage of weaklings (“all too many”) are cowards, which lets us know that at least one weakling must be a coward, allowing us to say more technically that “some weaklings are cowards,” and to infer that therefore at least one coward must be a weakling (or again that “some cowards are weaklings”).

We also learn that few cowards fail to be fools, meaning that there must be at least one coward who is a fool--which, again, we can state as “some cowards are fools.” (Even if you want to say, instead, that this tells us that most cowards must be fools, note that this is information about the percentage of cowards who are fools, which would not give us the information we need to draw the author’s conclusion without knowing something about the relative sizes of the two groups of weaklings and cowards (see more on this below).)

So all we know about cowards is that some of them are weaklings and some of them (possibly most of them) are fools. But we have no knowledge about the sizes of these subgroups within the entire group of cowards, and thus have no way to know whether the two subgroups overlap with one another. By contrast, if we knew that “most” cowards (51% or more) were weaklings and “most” cowards (51% or more) were fools, then it would be impossible for these two subgroups of cowards not to overlap, since each would constitute more than half of the entire group. But based on what we actually do know, there could be 100 cowards out there, 10 of whom are weaklings and 60 of whom are fools, but none would need to be both--so what we are actually told about cowards doesn’t numerically entitle us to infer that there is anyone among the cowards who is both a weakling and a fool. We would need different information about the sizes of these two subgroups to reach that conclusion.

The stimulus author tries to circumvent this weakness by erroneously suggesting that, if “all too many” weaklings are cowards, we can infer that this makes up a large enough percentage of the total group of cowards that it must overlap with at least one instance of those cowards who are fools. But there are two things wrong with this reasoning. First of all, we don’t really know what “all too many” means as a percentage of the group of weaklings--“too many” is really so subjective that it might only mean one. Second, and far more importantly, we have absolutely no information about the relative sizes of the groups of weaklings and cowards. So even if we knew that every weakling was a coward, and most cowards were fools, we still couldn’t infer, as the stimulus does, that there was necessarily an overlap between those groups. If, for example, there were 40 weaklings, every one of whom was a coward, and a total group of 100 cowards, most of whom (e.g., 51) were fools, we would have no way of knowing whether there was any overlap between these groups of 40 and 51 within the total group of 100.

Without that missing vital information about the relative group sizes of weaklings and cowards, even knowing something so extreme about percentages as that every weakling (100%) is a coward and that most cowards (51% or more) are fools would not allow us to know whether the groups of cowards who are weaklings and cowards who are fools actually overlap. The stimulus doesn’t get us that far regarding percentages, but it is important to see that even if it did, that would not be a basis for drawing the author’s conclusion about an actual overlap. So the primary error here is in assuming that simply knowing something about percentages can tell you something definite about actual numbers.

In abstract terms, the stimulus tells us this:

Some (or many) As are Bs
Some (or most) Bs are Cs
Thus, there must be at least one A who is a C

Answer choice (C) says the same thing, just rearranging the terms, and thus makes the same error as the stimulus. But answer choice (E) says something crucially different. If you slightly adjust your diagram for (E) to present things more numerically, it makes it easier to see why the reasoning in (E) is actually correct:

P1: Majority voting population-->favor total ban [in other words, MOST voters favor the total ban, or most As are Bs]

P2: Favor total ban-->not opposed to stiffer tariff [in other words, EVERY person who favors the total ban is not opposed to stiffer tariffs, or all Bs are Cs]

C: At least one person-->Not opposed to stiffer tariff [thus, in other words, at least one one voter must be not opposed to stiffer tariffs, or at least one A must be a C]

Knowing that the whole group of people who favor the total ban also are not opposed to stiffer tariffs allows us to conclude that anyone who falls into that group has the characteristic that is shared by everyone in the group. In other words, because every B has to be a C, if there is at least one A that is a B, that A must also be a C (since all Bs are Cs), so (E) is correct in concluding that at least one voter must not be opposed to the ban. Knowing something absolute about the group of people who favor the total ban takes us out of the uncertain situation set up by the stimulus, where we don't know anything about the entire group of Bs and thus can't extrapolate what we do know to As, just because some (or even many) As happen to be part of the group of Bs.

I hope this helps!
Laura
 MikeJones
|
Might someone be able to diagram B for me here? I'm only able to understand the first two sentences, which appear to go something like:

First statement
M (moralists) :most: /CA (courage to act...)

Second statement
S (saints) :most: /AA (ability to articulate...)

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to articulate the third statement in terms of a conditional, and I'm guessing that's probably the point, but I would like to see if it's even possible to logically diagram that statement.
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mike,

Good job with the first two statements! The final statement is telling us that few people do both things. So to make the statement easier to understand, I would rephrase the final statement along the lines of "most people either do not act like saints or don't speak like moralists."

If you want, you can diagram the conclusion of this answer choice in the following way

..... ..... act like Saints
People :most: or
..... ..... speak like moralists

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.